View Full Version : Best GPS Mapping / Navigation Software?

stsanford
02-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi all.
I'm a new owner of a Bluetooth GPS device and am in the market for the bets nav. software around.

I'm going to be using this in my car, and travel mostly in the Tri-state NY area. So what would be your recommendation for an accurate, high quality navigation package?

Thanks,
STS

Deralict
03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
I've used a lot of navigation software, unfortunately nothing IMO out there is ideal--they all are missing something. Here is my ranking, with comments. One I've yet to try but looks like it could be the best is TomTom Navigator. The problem with that is it only works on a small set of Pocket PC models--none that I've ever owned. Big strike against it--everything else works across all models and even multiple OS versions.

1. Intellinav iGuidance - most accurate, simplest interface, everything is right about this one except that there is a nasty bug in it that makes it not work with WM2003SE on some models. It works great on my Toshiba e830, but not on my iMate Jam.
2. OnCourse Navigator 4 - suffers in the interface a bit by not sticking to design standards, main navigation screen is a bit cluttered with some useless information, and not as accurate as iGuidance.
3. Destinator 3 - used this one a while ago, the UI is quite appealing, but I found that the navigation (visually and voice prompts) very frustrating, although I don't remember why. Also, the crazy license management scheme is quite ridiculous, making it difficult to move to a different device, and requiring calling them if your Pocket PC gets hard reset. Too intrusive, and gets in the way.
4. Mapopilis - could be really good, I love the way you only buy the maps you want...but the UI is HORRIBLE. Fully half the screen is consumed with information that should be more compressed and off to the side, so that only half is available for the main task--showing you the map and the navigation. I'm a UI designer, so it really disgusted me. Looked like it was designed by monkeys.

DuallyDave
03-04-2005, 09:46 PM
"4. Mapopilis - could be really good, I love the way you only buy the maps you want...but the UI is HORRIBLE. Fully half the screen is consumed with information that should be more compressed and off to the side, so that only half is available for the main task"

You can turn all of that stuff off in the options. I think Mapopolis is an excellent choice myself - they are improving all of the time. See gpspassion.com for reviews of PPC GPS software.

illusion
03-10-2005, 01:36 AM
HANDS DOWN..... TomTom Navigator 2004. Very easy to use, intuitive interface, lightning fast rerouting, several programs to edit POI database to add everything under the sun, maps are pretty up to date and VERY detailed. clear voice instructions. I've tried most of the GPS software around and liked TomTom so much I bought it. $120 on ebay for the software.

For aviation I use Anywhere Map, although I've been contimplating upgrading to the XM Wx module so I can get more accurate Wx data.