View Full Version : Great DVD to PocketPC Freeware - All-in-1 2pass Xvid

x999x
02-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi, I recently stumbled upon a very great Freeware for converting DVDs to AVI on the PC. It's called Fairuse and is intended for your desktop. The version I am using is the free "lite edition" which limits the output file size to 700 megs, which is more than I need for pocketpc because you can define the output filesize in the encoding settings.

Encoding takes about 3 hours from start to finish, and it supports multisessions, batch encoding, and most importantly, 2pass Xvid encoding. Other features include editing, like clipping off the end credits, as well as audio boost and custom cropping.

I've tried the Shareware DVD to PocketPC software, DVD2PPC and PocketDVD Encoder, but I found them to be a little lack luster when it came down to encoding specifics, especially the 2pass option. Comparing a single pass AVI from PDVD encoder to a 2pass AVI from Fairuse prompts one to question if the Fairuse version came from software you had to pay for.

For the quality and filesize, it just doesn't get any better than Xvid, and when it costs you Zero dollars, you just can't beat a bargain like that.

You can find Fairuse here:
http://www.fairusewizard.com/mambo/index.html

Download the Lite-Version and Happy Encoding.

I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding encoding, it's fairly straightforward, but not as linear as the dvd2ppc titles.

Don't Panic!
02-28-2005, 10:50 PM
What's not linear about it? You put in the DVD. You follow the 8 steps. You let the PC do the rest. This guide will get anybody ripping in no time. http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/34/59/

x999x
02-28-2005, 11:27 PM
What's not linear about it? You put in the DVD. You follow the 8 steps. You let the PC do the rest. This guide will get anybody ripping in no time. http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/34/59/

The fact that my Dad can get DVD2PPC to rip without a guide, that's what's not that linear about FairUse.

But for power users, it's the best software I've come across that does everything all-in-one and gives you as much control over the encoding process.

Ultima
03-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up about FairUse Wizard. I was looking for a program to help rip my anime DVDs down to DivX/XviD to watch on my portable devices. I may have not done enough looking around, but this seems to be the simplest way of doing it in order to get the japanese audio with english subtitles "burned" into the video.

I still have some playing to do with it. :)

MonkeyMera
03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Ive tried this on a couple of DVD's and when it gets step 8 a box apperar saying it cant load my CODEC?? any thoughts

Don't Panic!
03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Download the DivX codec from WMPlugins (http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=613).

HTH

zilla31
03-23-2005, 03:16 PM
i'm totally new to this stuff but do the settings recommended in this guide change at all if you're using a VGA device like an x50v? can anyone recommend some settings to get me started w/ that if so?

tmcg
03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
A serious limitation is that it only works on dvd. Many of us need to convert other files such as avi home movies.

Sven Johannsen
03-25-2005, 05:17 PM
i'm totally new to this stuff but do the settings recommended in this guide change at all if you're using a VGA device like an x50v? can anyone recommend some settings to get me started w/ that if so?

Not positive, but you should be able to use the default settings that are designed for 320x240 screens. There was some discussion in the past about users of VGA devices needing to encode at 640x480 because the 320x240 only filled a quarter of the screen. I never understood the issue because that is not the case for the X50v. It is set up to play 320x240 videos full screen. One of the benefits of the dedicated video processor section I would guess.

The benefit of 640x480 of course is that you could get better video resolution, but the drawback is that it is four times the pixels, requireing bigger files, and pushing the processor to decode that much that fast.

Don't Panic!
03-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I used the settings in the guide for my first rip and it looked great. I have since played with the file size, audio, and resolution settings. The closer to 640X480 resolution you get the more you fill the screen on widescreen movies but chopping the black bars doesn't seem to do anything on my X50v but they are gone when I look at the same file with WMP on my PC. Using the 640X480 resolution with a television show not in widescreen ( I did a few episodes from the 1968 season of "The Avengers") fills the screen perfectly as do non-widescreen movies at that resolution setting.

It's a great little free program for ripping DVD's very polished.

fizzz
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Just got my HP rx3715 and downloaded both free trials of DVD to Pocket PC & Pocket DVD Wizard. One of them already said that it wasn't created to convert protected content (2 Fast 2 Furious). I'm sure that some sort of codec or crack needs to be downloaded first. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I'll need to attempt getting this to my SD card and what exactly needs to be downloaded so that I don't run into this with any other movies?

Thanx! :werenotworthy:

Don't Panic!
03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Just got my HP rx3715 and downloaded both free trials of DVD to Pocket PC & Pocket DVD Wizard. One of them already said that it wasn't created to convert protected content (2 Fast 2 Furious). I'm sure that some sort of codec or crack needs to be downloaded first. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I'll need to attempt getting this to my SD card and what exactly needs to be downloaded so that I don't run into this with any other movies?

Thanx! :werenotworthy:Maybe you should try the software that this thread is all about http://www.fairusewizard.com/mambo/index.html

fizzz
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM
cool thanks. i'll try it over the weekend and see how it works.