View Full Version : eReader files

terrypin
02-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I bought a couple of eReader books a couple of weeks ago, but have only just got around to reading them. On looking for the files, by searching for *.PDB in Resco Explorer, I realised I don't properly understand how they are supposed to be organised.

Am I right that the .pdb files are placed automatically in only one location, namely \My Documents\Peanut Press?

And that you can then move them only to \SD Card\My Documents\Peanut Press, or \CF Card\My Documents\Peanut Press? Nowhere else. And that subfolder must be 'Peanut Press' exactly?

Also, I found various .KZ files, like this example:
\My Documents\Peanut Press\eReader User Data\Book Data\Using eReader.kz but *only* here, not in the equivalent CF or SD locations. Are these for bokmarks? There's no mention of them in the brief documentation.

And am I also right that, if you make copies of files, with different names say
\My Documents\Peanut Press\mybook.pdb
and
\CF Card\My Documents\Peanut Press\mybook-CF.pdb
when you open eReader there is no way of telling which is which? (The filename or path is not included, just the book's actual title.

BTW, it appears that after 'authorising' a book on your PC, you have to do so again when you open it on your PPC, by entering name and credit card number.

Must say, all seems a bit messy to me.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

surur
02-26-2005, 11:33 AM
It all appears very complicated, but why concern yourself with the minutia of the software and layout of the files? Normally you download the book with an installer, which will place it in the appropriate directory as prompted by you.

Secondly when you are entering your CC details you are not "authorising" the book, you are providing the decryption details. This is the beauty of the system, in that you carry the information with you, with no need for a network connection for authentication (ala MS Reader). Therefore you of course do have to provide this information wherever you want the file decrypted.

I think it makes a lot more sense than being tied to a certain number of devices like MS Reader.

Surur

terrypin
02-26-2005, 01:52 PM
It all appears very complicated, but why concern yourself with the minutia of the software and layout of the files? Normally you download the book with an installer, which will place it in the appropriate directory as prompted by you.

Thanks, Surur.

That's just the way I am! And for recovering from a crash, it helps to know where things are supposed to be.

Secondly when you are entering your CC details you are not "authorising" the book, you are providing the decryption details. This is the beauty of the system, in that you carry the information with you, with no need for a network connection for authentication (ala MS Reader). Therefore you of course do have to provide this information wherever you want the file decrypted.

I think it makes a lot more sense than being tied to a certain number of devices like MS Reader.

Surur

I agree it's a less onerous restriction, although I find all forms of protection a PITA.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

disconnected
02-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Once the correct folders are set up, I've always found it simpler to download the books from my ereader bookshelf in unzipped form and then just copy them over to the PPC either through activesync or from the PPC side with Resco file-explorer over the network, rather than using the install process. If I'm not at home, it's also convenient to be able to connect to ereader at a hotspot or with a bluetooth to phone connection and buy and download books directly from the ereader bookshelf to the PPC.