View Full Version : Asus Connectors and Cables

ro76
02-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I've just ordered an A730W, making the change from an Ipaq 1940. I've bought and made a few cables for the Ipaq, and am considering doing the same for the A730W.

I have been trawling the net, and seen a few posts from others on the same topic of compatibility of cables accross different devices.

I thought if a few of us put our collective knowledge together, it would probably be possible to shed some light on the topic.

As I see it the A600, A620, A716 and A730 have the same actual connector. Yes/No?

It also seems that the FS Loox 720 also uses the same connector. Yes/No?

I have read on some forums that the sync/charge cables for the A600 series will sync with the A730 but will not charge, whereas others will. This seems a bit odd, since both must be 5 volt, if they charge from USB.

Now on to the USB host cable. I gather that low-current devices like flash drives do not need external power, and will work with just the host cable connection. Is there any fancy electronics in this, or is it just a case of wiring the correct pins on the connector to the correct USB pins?

Thanks,

Ro

1BADRIDE
03-15-2005, 09:43 PM
I can confirm that the A716 and A730W (I own one of each, the A716 being my retired PDA) share AC power supplies. There is a difference however - the A730W has no DC input socket while the A716 does. The A730W connects to the power supply via the USB host cable.

The USB host cable fits in the A716, but I am reluctant to connect the power supply in case the wiring is not the same for the port.

I have used either power supply to charge my A730W without any issues.

As far as the host cable goes - by visual inspection, it is simply a matter of wiring the power to the correct pins. The USB Host cable IS powered and the A730W comes with one USB Host cable. If the device is a higher current device, I suspect you could use the AC Power supply to compensate BUT I cannot confirm as I have not tried this.

PLEASE NOTE - the included AC power supply DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH POWER to charge the extended battery using the cradle and run WIFI at the same time while in TURBO mode with no power savings enabled.