View Full Version : What is an ATA interface in a CF card? Will this card work on a hx2755?

whodat
02-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm probably buying an iPAQ hx2755.

The web site has this card: SANDISK 1GB 1000MB COMPACTFLASH DISK CARD WITH BUILT-IN ATA INTERFACE - SDCFB-1024-A10 for $65 (much cheaper than their other 1GB cards).

What is an ATA interface? Will it work on the iPAQ? Is there a drawback to this type of CF that makes it cheaper?

Thanks.

PDANEWBIE
02-24-2005, 10:48 PM
This should answer your question -

Product Details

Features:

High transfer rate for fast copy/download
High storage capacity
Compatible with all digital cameras, handheld PCs, digital audio players, and other devices that feature a CompactFlash slot
Operating shock rating of 2,000Gs, equivalent to a 10-foot drop to the floor

(bolded for effect)

whodat
02-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Actually, it answers only part of my question & dubiously, at that. This is more or less the blurb I saw, & given that it looked like it had been done by the store I wasn't sure how much credence to give it.

I still also don't know why the card was much cheaper than the others? Is there some drawback to an "ATA interface"?

ADBrown
02-25-2005, 12:53 AM
ATA is the name for the style of multi-pin parallel interfaces used for (many) hard drives, PCMCIA/CardBus laptop cards, and CompactFlash cards. By definition, all CF cards have an ATA interface.

PDANEWBIE
02-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Not sure how dubiously that was. I put in bold that all handheld PC's (I.E. PDA's) are supported. And yes as stated its the configuration of the card that makes it ATA. Sorry if you took it as any more than I meant it.

As far as being cheaper than other CF cards SanDisk has always been one of the cheapest media producers out there as far as CF and SD cards at least that "I" know of.

Sven Johannsen
02-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Take a look over at www.pricewatch.com $65 is right there at the low end of current 1G CF card prices. Nothing super special. (I'd go for the Kingston for $66)