View Full Version : Maybe I Will Start Reading The EULA

Ed Hansberry
02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
<a href="http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/23/2315211&amp;from=rss">http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/23/2315211&amp;from=rss</a><br /><br /><i>"When Doug Heckman was installing a PC Pitstop program, he actually read the EULA. In it, he found a clause stating that he could get financial compensation if he e-mailed PC Pitstop. The result: a $1,000 check, and proof that people don't read EULAs (3,000 people before him didn't notice it). The goal of this was to prove that one should read all EULAs, so that one can see if an app is spyware if it is buried in the EULA."</i><br /><br />Sweeeeeeet!

Jonathan1
02-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Nope. If they would do a simple bullet point type EULA I would read it. But every EULA I’ve ever seen is like 5 pages long of 9 point font text.

That and I personally think its a waste of time. IMHO, I don’t think an EULA would really hold up in court. I thought I read a while ago (Might have been on MSN. Not sure.) that it hasn’t been proven whether a click can be a binding agreement since there is no proof that you were the one who clicked accept. Its not like most contracts where you have proof because you’ve physically deposited a signature on paper. Does anyone know if a dispute over an EULA has ever gone to court? I’m betting not. :confused totally:

Don't Panic!
02-24-2005, 09:34 PM
I read one for a freeware game one time. They said they would take your first born child if you redistribulted the file. 8O

PDANEWBIE
02-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Which freeware? I am going to redistribute that until they come take my son - He just used a vacuum hose to hit my big screen tv breaking it - (he's 3) :devilboy:

bjornkeizers
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
If its one of those ten page jobs in bold type I always skip it. I actually do read the more creative EUL s since it shows someone cared enough to make a decent effort instead of ctrl-c, ctrl-v. You get bonus points for making me laugh.

Ken Mattern
02-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Ed Foster over at InfoWorld has been writing about EULAs for ages. Some of them are absolutely frightening. The debate continues as to whether they can actually be enforced. For some really interesting reading go to http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/section/Columns

Darius Wey
02-25-2005, 02:47 AM
I can now vision hundreds of thousands of people reading random EULAs in the hope of winning something "out-of-this-world". I can also vision hundreds of thousands of companies removing free offerings in their EULAs. What a world we live in!

Jon Westfall
02-25-2005, 03:57 AM
When I used to write EULAs, I would use some of the standard paragraphs and always add in some humor. I believe I used a statement such as "By clicking Next you agree to supply the publisher your first born child, should notarized request be delievered to you by singing telegram", no one ever emailed me on it, and I never requested any children. and PDANEWBIE - sorry, I'm not in the market for a destructive 3 year old. I'd refer your offer to the developmental program at UT, but they typically consider 3 year olds "Geriatric" since their facutly prefer to study 12-24 mo. olds!

jimski
02-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Which freeware? I am going to redistribute that until they come take my son - He just used a vacuum hose to hit my big screen tv breaking it - (he's 3) :devilboy:

Well if you got him a nice shiny PPC to play with he wouldn't be messing with that darn vacuum hose. Time for an upgrade.

Jon Westfall
02-25-2005, 09:28 AM

Well if you got him a nice shiny PPC to play with he wouldn't be messing with that darn vacuum hose. Time for an upgrade.

If PDANEWBIE does that, we may be seeing the following very soon:

Which freeware? I am going to redistribute that until they come take my son - He just used a pocket pc to hit my new big screen tv breaking them - (he's 3) :devilboy:

Jason Dunn
02-25-2005, 05:13 PM
[still in post-vacation stealth mode, shhh...]

I only read EULAs for one thing now: to see how the license allows me to install the software on more than one computer. Some allow a laptop + desktop install, which is awesome. Some don't, which sucks. :evil:

Jon Westfall
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
[still in post-vacation stealth mode, shhh...]

Hmm, then I should probably not post the "Jason Triumphantly Returns - Much Rejoicing" front-page post I was going to put up today eh? :mrgreen:

bjornkeizers
02-25-2005, 09:09 PM
You were on vacation? :D