View Full Version : Belkin F8T001, XP SP2 and the Network Access profile

ctmagnus
02-23-2005, 02:08 AM
I have a Belkin F8T001 Bluetooth dongle connected to a machine running Windows XP SP1. I tried upgrading to XP SP2 a while ago but had problems with Network Access, which is the only BT profile I need to use on that machine. Unfortunately, the date that Microsoft has set for machines to download XP SP2 by is fast approaching.

Has anyone gotten a F8T001 to work with the Network Access profile on Windows XP SP2?

If not, can anyone recommend a Bluetooth dongle that supports the Network Access profile on XP SP2, that preferably uses the Widcomm stack?

Darius Wey
02-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Are you trying to create a PAN? If so, turn Bluetooth on your other device (I presume it's your Pocket PC). Then click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Bluetooth Devices > Options. Select the last box (Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area), then right-click the new system tray icon, and select Join a Personal Area Network. It should be smooth-sailing from there.

ctmagnus
02-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Not a PAN, I want to do a bridge.

How the system is setup (currently with SP1) is, the BT dongle and the nic are bridged. The Network Access profile is like passthrough in ActiveSync, only this machine doesn't use ActiveSync as I don't sync with it.

When I upgraded the machine to SP2, the Network Access profile went awol.

Darius Wey
02-23-2005, 08:01 AM
I see what you're after now. I have the same setup as you, but I haven't had the need to access the Network Access profile, so I'm not sure if all hell breaks loose with the SP2 upgrade. Usually, there are a lot of workarounds, even though it's tedious. I take it you're using Belkin's supplied drivers?

ctmagnus
02-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I take it you're using Belkin's supplied drivers?

So far. iirc I was using the Windows drivers after the upgrade, before I rolled back so I could get Network Access again. I've read of hacks to get Widcomm drivers in there, but the steps seemed a little over my head.

So, at this point, I guess the question really is, can anyone recommend a good dongle that works with the Network Access profile in SP2?