View Full Version : IDEA: SPOT Pocket PC

Perk
02-23-2005, 12:48 AM
OK,

I've been a huge PPC user since the early Pocket Brick days. It's natural for me to bring it everywhere, every time. I think it's the best system out there, period.

Recently, I bought a Suunto N6HR which is a connected watch that syncs with my Outlook calendar wirelessly. Yes, wirelessly. It uses a regional FM radio network to retrieve whatever is on my internet enabled PC calendar and sends it to my wrist without any effort on my part. (Dick Tracy would be envious.)

Anyways, the watch didn't work out. The technology is solid but I just didn't like how it works in a watch. Wouldn't it be really really cool to have your schedule automatically update to your PPC without any effort or having to sync? I'd pay really good money for a PPC that did that!

You can read about the watch and MSN Direct technology that supports it here: http://www.msndirect.com/watches/suunto-n6HR.htm

PS: The technology also syncs web snipets like local movie times, news, weather and more. Imagine that on your PPC!

http://www.suunto.com/media/suunto/images/products/wristop/n6HR_medium_16c4b.jpg

dean_shan
02-23-2005, 01:45 AM
I would love to have spot on a PPC to put weather on my today screen.

jimski
02-23-2005, 06:46 AM
While we are on the subject of converged devices, how about imbedding a SkyPager into a PPC (seriously). I have carried a Skypager for the past 15+ years as it's the only device that can find me just about anywhere in North America (except maybe in a cave). I couple years ago I switched from the belt clip model to a Timex Watch SkyPager. Find me a cell phone carrier that can make a similar claim.

Yes it's dorky, but it's a converged device, I can tell time and get paged with the same device. Additionaly the watch downloaded new stories, weather, horoscope, short text messages, etc. all day long. I know that this competes with Microsoft's technology, but can't they all sit down in a room together and decide how everyone would benenft from this (as the consure I figure I will just have to pay more). The SkyPager circuit fits in this damn tiny watch, with a zinc battery so its not a real estate issue.

Hey I might even buy a PPC phone if they offered this feature.