View Full Version : I-mate PDA2K vs. XDA O2 II S vs. hp6315

steve_a_rieno
02-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Greetings Everyone,
I'm a college student looking to get my first all in one Pocket PC. Primary concerns are web browsing, terminal services, word and excel wi-fi, clear phone capabilities, fast processing speed, and MP3 capabilities.

hp6315 :D :
I've been hearing a lot of negative comments and bad reviews. This is the most easily accessible for me here in the states, however, i fear that it will have unreliable BT and poor telephone quality. However, i do like that this unit has all the gadgets!

I-mate PDA2K 8O :
This seems like a powerhouse. The reviews are all positive but its not available here in the US. I'd be getting the European unlocked $850 model. I'm skeptical weather its worth it. I'm wondering how this compares to the HP.

XDA O2 II S 0X :
Another product not offered in the US. It would be tough to get a hold of but again the reviews are mostly positive. It isn't as pricy as the PDA2K and has the gadgets that I desire.

I appreciate any recommendations, I’m currently exploring getting a service plan with T-mobile.

Chris Spera
02-23-2005, 06:27 PM
The XDA IIs and the PDA2k are the same unit, unless I'm off my nut, which is possible. My wife is due to deliver a baby in less than 2 weeks... I'm running low on sleep. :D

The PDA2k is available in the US for about $899US via eXpansys USA. As of this writing, they have 111 in stock for immediate shipping.

I have this device, and I really like it. You're right, it is a power house! Its perhaps the closest thing to the original HTC BlueAngel. I don't think imate modified it at all, they just branded it and shipped it.

The PDA2k blows the 6315 out of the universe. They are a night and day comparison with the PDA2k winning hands down and twice on Sunday.

The PDA2k will work on any GSM network, including T-Mo. All you need is an activated SIM.

bjv
02-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Chris!!

you say PDA2K and XDA are same unit?

one is i-mate

the other O2

and XDAII s is best choose

galt
02-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Chris!!

you say PDA2K and XDA are same unit?

one is i-mate

the other O2

and XDAII s is best choose

I think what Chris is trying to say is that they are both carrier-tailored versions of the same device, the HTC Blueangel.

What Chris didn't specifically state was that the HP6315 is an anemic device that survives with barely enough memory and processor speed. Get whichever version of the Blueangel is cheaper (although I hear the PDA2K has better support w/regards to bug fix updates), so if "fast processing speed" is a requirement, avoid the HP.

FYI, this is all based on (only) my obsessive research, I do not own any of these PPC Phone devices.

MitchellO
02-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I have to recommend the XDA II Mini/iMate JAM, as it fulfils everything you said except WiFi, which i have rectified with a Sandisk SD Wifi. This handheld is soooo small, and the screen is the clearest i have ever seen. Battery life is great, the phone section works well (good signal, beats my SE T610). The camera is not tooo bad and takes decent video. I have also got two 1GB SD cards which make this thing an able MP3 player. GPRS is really good on it too for checking emails, MSN and some web surfing (often look up Pocket PC THoughts mobile and the gadgeteer).

Chris Spera
02-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Galt is mostly correct. Both units are HTC Blue Angels. The i-mate is unlocked. The O2 is carrier locked to O2's service in the UK (and where ever else they provide service...)

both are good choices because they are effectively the same unit. The difference may be minor hardware variations and definitely the software (ROM) that is offered on each device.

I have the PDA2k, and couldn't be happier with it! :)

sudermatt
02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm a proud HP6315 owner so I thought I would pop in and defend it a little here, just for completeness. All you hear on these forums are opinions about this device and that which can be parsed every which way and twice on sunday.

Here's my $.02

It's true that the XDA's are far more powerful, and probably more "stable". However, to blanketly state it "blows" away the HP is just propaganda. The XDA's has more processor speed and more memory, granted. I wonder, how many XDA II users can honestly say they've been able to go an entire day of steady use without either having a gigantor battery or recharging halfway thru the day.

It seems to me that they both have strengths and weaknesses and the one you choose depends on what kind of use you will have.

The HP6315 is a great device if you want to have a single device that can replace the functionality of a cell phone and have most of the functionality of a pocket pc. The standard battery will let you go all day making calls, checking email, surfing sights, listening to music, etc. without recharging.

The downfall of the device is that it's not as stable as it should be. I Soft reset my device about 3 times a day. (though I just installed a new ROM last night that's suppose to be a big improvement in stability and bluetooth). Anyhow, yup, I have to reset my device, which takes all of 30 seconds. It's also not very powerful. You can't watch movies on the device at full dvd quality like I'm sure you can on the suprecharged XDAII's. But, it's ok with me.

Bottom line is, and you will hear this from many review sights, the HP6315 does EVERYTHING, some things pretty well, some just ok, some marginally. But it does everything, and it can do it all day long without hunting for a poweroutlet halfway through the day. To me, this is convergence....you can leave your cellphone at home, and your laptop for most things, and just take one device. THAT...to me...is convergience.

I'm done. Thanks for listening.
Matt

PS: honestly, I'm truly curious....can an XDAII REALLY go all day without recharging?

MitchellO
02-25-2005, 01:21 AM
I don't know about the XDA II, but my XDA II Mini can go for a day with heaps of use and still have some left. I get about 6hrs of constant use out of mine. That includes:

1. Phone calls
2. MSN over WiFi/GPRS
3. Internet over WiFi/GPRS
4. Email over WiFi/GPRS
5. Standard PIM functions
6. MP3 Playback
7. Sometime some video playback.

About half of that is with a Sandisk WiFi card on, the rest with just the phone on (i rarely use bluetooth). For such a tiny device, that is great. And, it is faster and smaller (even with the WiFi card) than the h6315 too. I only have to reset about once a day to keep everything going smooth.[/list]

Kadegboye
02-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Hi,
I use XDA II from which HTC Blue angel and its multiple variations came out. I use my device for a good 24hrs before recharging it - I don't mean continuously. I can also tell you that any of the Blue Angel derivatives will satisfy your yearning for a good device. The particular type of Blue Angel you choose will depend on your preference. For example if size and speed are your most important features, you may do well to choose XDA II mini. On the other hand, if music is the most important feature, i-mate jam is advisable. I-mate PDA 2K is the closest to the original Blue Angel and is a powerhouse that will give you nearly all that you will need. Irrespective of the defence of HP 6315, I will not recommend it over the Blue Angel derivatives. All of these are world phones (i.e triband Phones that can be used anywhere in the world where there is GSM). If you contact T- Mobile they may order i-mate PDA 2K for you while you enjoy a rebate of $100 for signing on. Good luck.
Kay.

saznpins
02-27-2005, 11:48 PM
If you can find one in a Cingular or AT&T store, another alternative is the Siemens branded Blue Angel device, the SX66. I believe it's the only Blue Angel that's officially sold here in the US. That's what I have and it's the same as the PDA2K, minus the camera. It's $650 with no contract and you could use it with your T-Mo sim.

I've had mine since December and it's been a very stable device. And I can and do use it frequently throughout the day for many different applications without any need for a second battery.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the right device for you :)

sudermatt
02-28-2005, 09:03 PM
one thing that was a deal breaker for me was that the XDA's were only tri-band...didn't do 850...it's my understanding that 850 is what the US carriers are using

rdaprix
03-01-2005, 02:17 AM
We're having a similar conversation and how to get the blue angel on the T-mobile network, (that's the IMATE PDA-2k) which seems to be absolutely the device you want.

Not only for its robustness, but because you'll be able to do other applications (like goodlink and other stuff you'll want later for work stuff).

Probably worth it if you can swing the $$$

Maybe the moderator can cobine these two threads--they seem posted about the same time.....

Lazarus? Paragaon Again? You guys out there? Wanna swing these two together?

steve_a_rieno
03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
OK...It was a tough decision and id like to thank you all for you input. i decided after two weeks of research that the pda2k was the best solution for my needs. ive had it now for 2 days and im still tryibg to figure out the limitless possibilities. the unit seems very capable my only disappointment has been my inability to connect to my email and not being able open java enabled webpages. im sure that ill figure it out...but to any serious ppc user i highly reccommend this device. check out dave from MMB. but most important do your research and you wont be surprised...find the device thats right for you 0X 8O