View Full Version : which PDA will be best suited for GPS softwares?

pwanghk
02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Greetings:

I just find out that my Ipaq H2215 + HI-303S + HI-401BT is not fully compatible with GPS software (currently Routis 2004, will soon switch to OCN 4.0). Effectively, everytime I use the HI-401BT for direction guidance (it works fine as map display only), the PDA BT shutdown due to insufficient memory even though I have 57.11MB (before running Routis) on my H2215 in which:
- 14.78MB is allocated to storage with 14.21MB free
- 42.33MB is allocated to program with 33.69MB free.

This problem doesn't occur when I use the CF GPS receiver.

So could someone please give me some advice to purchase the right PDA for GPS software? This will be my 3rd PDA and hopefully my last one. My requirements are, CF & SD slot, Bluetooth, bright and readable displays similar to Ipaq, be able to switch to landscape mode, 128MB+ main memory, and 4" screen.

Thank you for your time and help.

jimski
02-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Have you tried soft resetting your device and then activating Bluetooth before opening any other programs? On my nice new hx4705 with 75MB allocated (PPCT 128MB Upgrade) to Program Memory and 58MB available, I more often than not have to soft reset my device to get Bluetooth to turn on. I am using iPAQ Navigation System w/BT but the GPS software does not seem to be your problem.

I have heard that either the "Bluetooth not opening" problem has to do with Microsoft's OS, the Bluetooth stack or HP's implementation of memory management, or something else, but I guess the same person working on the PPC alarm issue also has this project folder on their desk cause I have been dealing with this since my iPAQ 3870. More power under the hood but I still stall when I stop at a light :roll: .

Paragon
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Greetings:

I just find out that my Ipaq H2215 + HI-303S + HI-401BT is not fully compatible with GPS software (currently Routis 2004, will soon switch to OCN 4.0). Effectively, everytime I use the HI-401BT for direction guidance (it works fine as map display only), the PDA BT shutdown due to insufficient memory even though I have 57.11MB (before running Routis) on my H2215 in which:
- 14.78MB is allocated to storage with 14.21MB free
- 42.33MB is allocated to program with 33.69MB free.

This problem doesn't occur when I use the CF GPS receiver.

So could someone please give me some advice to purchase the right PDA for GPS software? This will be my 3rd PDA and hopefully my last one. My requirements are, CF & SD slot, Bluetooth, bright and readable displays similar to Ipaq, be able to switch to landscape mode, 128MB+ main memory, and 4" screen.

Thank you for your time and help.

This is a Bluetooth stack issue, more than a memory issue. I'm not up on what patches, and ROM updates are out for the 2215. I would check with HP to see if you are running the latest patches and ROM which I have a feeling would eliminate this problem for you.

Dave

pwanghk
02-23-2005, 01:18 AM
thank you both for your help.

Effectively, I saw a few new patches for my H2215. I will upgrade and see if there will be any improvement.

Otherwise, I may have to purchase new one. If it were you which VGA PDA will you pick IPAQ 4705 or Axim X50V? I was pretty happy with my Ipaq until now; however, I am afraid to get into the same problem with the new Ipaq.