View Full Version : 568 - Os Upgrade?

m0tek
02-20-2005, 06:39 PM
i currently inherited my bro's old 568 ( i think its a 568)..
has 64mb
i was wonderin if i can upgrade its os to a newer one?
should i stay with this? (usin it for playin games / some music / internet) or should i save up for the x30 / x50?
ne suggestions will be appriciated
id really wanna upgrade this one - if possible..thx!

Paul Martin
02-20-2005, 08:26 PM
There is no OS upgrade for the 568. Sorry.

As to upgrade or not, that's your call. I have a 568. It can do all the things you want to do. Since I don't have a newer device, I'm not sure what advantages a newer OS would have. Built-in wireless would be nice. Right now, I have to pull out my CF storage card to install my CF wifi card. Naturally, I can't install internet apps to that card because I won't be able to use them.

So, my suggestion...enjoy the 568 and save up for another one. They'll always promise bigger (or smaller) and better! :D

dlangton
02-20-2005, 09:08 PM
You can't update to Windows Mobile 2003. However, you can update the service pack of the OS you have to EUU3 from HP. It's even possible to update to EUU4 - check these forums.

You'll be hardpressed to find anything that your Jornada can't do. There's very little software which can't be run on PocketPC 2002. The Jornada is still one of the best devices ever made, IMHO. The accessories are really cheap - check Ebay. I've had my screen resealed at PocketPCTechs, as well as a memory upgrade to 128MB. Stick with your device for a while and you may find that you don't really need anything newer.

m0tek
02-20-2005, 10:33 PM
cool - thx for the advice
any site with apps reviews u guyz can offer?
is there any cf wifi + storage on it? :)
and how do i update to EUU3 - what does it give me?
:)

dlangton
02-21-2005, 12:16 AM
EUU3 - start at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=63928&lang=en&cc=us&os=231

Sandisk makes a CF WiFi card with 128 MB storage. See http://www.sandisk.com/retail/c-plus-wifi-cf.asp .

dlangton
02-21-2005, 12:34 AM
I was just checking, and HP still has QuickView Plus available at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/software/ftp-only/qvp_arm_hpc_605.zip . It's a good little app which supports viewing of just about any type of file.

Stephen Beesley
02-21-2005, 02:55 PM
...I've had my screen resealed at PocketPCTechs, as well as a memory upgrade to 128MB. Stick with your device for a while and you may find that you don't really need anything newer.

Now that is what I call a "super" Jornada. With 128MB of RAM and a properly sealed screen I could have seen myself hanging on to my Jornada and not giving into my lust for built in wifi and a bigger screen...

The Jornada is sitll my favourite PPC in terms of form factor.

Darius Wey
02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
any site with apps reviews u guyz can offer?

You're at the site with the goods! You can find all the reviews written for this site here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=get_type_titles,1) :)

dlangton
02-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Now that is what I call a "super" Jornada. With 128MB of RAM and a properly sealed screen I could have seen myself hanging on to my Jornada and not giving into my lust for built in wifi and a bigger screen...

The Jornada is sitll my favourite PPC in terms of form factor.

I eventually did have to replace my digitizer; it was losing sensitivity. But even that was really cheap - you can pick up a new screen combination for about $65. I'd really hate to lose my D-pad. 8)

airconvent
04-17-2005, 04:54 PM
totally agree....IMHO, the Singapore design team for the Jornada was much better than the Taiwanese HTC that did the original Ipaqs.
Its a pity they were disbanded in favour of the Ipaq...I can't imagine how cool the Jornada would have evolved if they were still on the job.

The design was thoughtfully well implemented with many cool features which today is still NOT available in the newer pdas or at least, not that good.
the nice flip cover (the 39xx and 24xx cover was laughable). I like the ability to switch off your screen via hardware button to save battery . the others merely turn off the back light. then there's the tap the screen to turn it on..unique to Jornada. Ominisolve was a very great bundle and I liked it alot!
side jog dial for one-hand reading of e-books seems to be extinct these days.

there are actually some prelaunch units running xscale 400mhz in circulation here (the 57x series that was almost launched before they were dropped after the merger).

sigh...

dlangton
04-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I just purchased a Jornada 575 off Ebay for $60, supposedly new. Can't wait to see it. I doubt I'll do the memory upgrade, but I'll certainly at least apply EUU4. Just wish there were an upgrade to Windows Mobile.

Stephen Beesley
04-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I just purchased a Jornada 575 off Ebay for $60, supposedly new. Can't wait to see it. I doubt I'll do the memory upgrade, but I'll certainly at least apply EUU4. Just wish there were an upgrade to Windows Mobile.

I have been thinking of doing just this myself - I have seen them come up everynow and then and go pretty cheaply.