View Full Version : Man Sends Text Messages In His Sleep

Ed Hansberry
02-19-2005, 01:00 AM
<a href="http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1270566.html?menu=news.quirkies">http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1270566.html?menu=news.quirkies</a><br /><br /><i>"A man from Swansea has discovered he sends text messages in his sleep. Richard Griffiths, 23, has sent a series of messages - one even mirroring a nightmare he was having. He said: "I text so much it's second nature. But I was still freaked out." He sent his first message to his mum at 2am 18 months ago reports The Sun."</i><br /><br />Well, there you go. It came from The Sun, so it <i>must</i> be true, right? :wink: There are just so many jokes waiting to be told about the dexterity of this guy's hands while sleeping...

Darius Wey
02-19-2005, 03:24 AM
Hmmm.... Ooo-kaaayyyy... :worried:

marcm
02-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Can you imagine being the person who wakes up in the middle of the night to get a text message reading Baloo have you seen Bagheera?

It sure gave me a laugh... :lol: :rotfl:

Jonathon Watkins
02-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Well, there you go. It came from The Sun, so it must be true, right? :wink:

Bingo, though I have read a few different reports about this sort of thing happening recently. Truth stranger than fiction? :wink:

rocky_raher
02-22-2005, 08:05 PM
My wife had a late aunt who often fell asleep while knitting. She continued to knit in her sleep.

My first reaction on reading this is that this case was similar. He probably keeps his cell phone on the nightstand, and if he dreams he's picking it up and sending a message, he actually does it. So what he's doing is similar to sleepwalking or talking in his sleep.

Then the skeptic in me asked this question: How come you never hear or read about anyone placing a telephone call in his sleep? Landline phones have been around generations longer than cell phones or texting, and far more people have them. Granted, few landline phones have speed dial, and few people can dial a phone without opening their eyes and looking at the dial/buttons [while many people dial and text without looking, like in class or while driving], but I still think that if sleep-texting were possible, sleep telephoning would be widespread.

So, I'll store this in the "Conceiveable, possibly true, but don't believe everything you read" drawer.

Fuego
02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Possibly something to do with habit. Some people text a hundred texts a day, or more. Bedside telephones never got that much use.