View Full Version : Pocket Informant Question

IowaArchitect
02-17-2005, 05:07 AM
When using Pocket Informant, in the Calendar Mode, I often want to search for an appointment in the future.....perhaps a month or more away. When I do this search it shows every day stacked up - with no appointment matching my filter - so I have to "right click" a week at a time until I get to the week where my appointment is shown. This could take several clicks - forward or backward to find it.

If it matters, in the regular calendar view I WANT to see evey day. that way if I click forward a few weeks to set an appointment, I see all the "blank days".

Am I asking for PI to operate 2 different ways - one during a search, and one when just viewing the calendar.

thanks to all the gurus out there.

iant54
02-17-2005, 11:47 AM
While you may get an answer here, have you tried posting your dilemma in the Pocket Informant forum: http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?

Lex
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm no expert but the search function operated the same for me. There's a difference between Searching and Filtering. In Search (tap magnifying glass icon) you enter a word or words, select what database to search (Appointments, Contacts, Tasks, etc.) and tap the downward green arrow. I never use filtering but that's accessed by tapping the funnel icon on the bottom row. It seems to locate appointments from specific Categories.

I have a certain recurring appointment so when I searched on the term it stacked all the appointments I've had, and will have, but this is what it is supposed to do.

I do recommend joining the PI Forum. Good help often comes from there but answers aren't necessarily fast in coming, and no guarantees of answers.

IowaArchitect
02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Im not using the search tab (separate from the calendar and contacts, etc.) - and I'm not using the filer (funnel icon).
Rather, the search BAR at the top, I have the alphabet icon on the right, and then on the left a questioni mark with a start arrow, and a question mark with arrows on both sides - this seems to search for "starts with" or "contains anywhere within" - and the whole middle section of the top of my screen (in calendar mode" is a blank area for typing in my search criteria.

Lex
02-17-2005, 01:39 PM
I may have already over-extended my knowledge so apologies if this leads nowhere. I can't even find that view in PI. If you're at Month View in the calendar, how do you get to where you described, tap by tap? A screenshot would be helpful but you have to be a member to post it here.

AggieJon
02-17-2005, 06:20 PM
When you use the search bar you are only searching through the appointments that are currently displayed on the screen. You can adjust the number of days that are shown at a time on the Agenda View by tapping on the gear icon and choosing "Agenda View." The "other" option in that menu will let you set any amount of days. If you repeat your search once you've included enough days on the screen, it should show the appointment you're looking for.

Obviously this is personal preference, but I don't think this is really the most efficient way for searching for an appointment. The search bar is designed to help you sort through what you have on screen. The search screen (the magnifying glass) will search through all appointments. You should experiment around with filtering and custom views, too.

Hope that helps.

Lex
02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I yield to AggieJon on this one. Found that search bar; I leave it hidden.