View Full Version : Siemens SX66 ROM Update Posted

Janak Parekh
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,us_en_0_21774_rArNrNrNrN_prodId%3A76051,00.html#Firmware' target='_blank'>http://communications.siemens.com/c...0.html#Firmware</a><br /><br /></div>If you're a owner of the Siemens SX66 (the Cingular-branded HTC Blue Angel device with thumbboard and WiFi), you may want to check this ROM update out. There's absolutely no details as to what it fixes on the website, although people are hoping it solves the device's remaining Bluetooth problems. If you find out what the update contains and/or try the update, post and let us know what's up. :)

smittyofdhs
02-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I found this thread at cingular's site

http://forums.cingular.com/attws/board/message?board.id=siemens&amp;message.id=10259

smittyofdhs
02-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Looks like I'm the first to upgrade and report back to here we go....

I've completed the firmware update successfully. It seems Siemens has worked out any previous bugs when making firmware upgrades. Everything went smoothly except for my 1 error. I typically charge the phone via the usb cable (I don't use the AC power), you HAVE to use the ac power for the firmware upgrade. I was able to kill off the upgrade once I realized it had stalled and was able to start again once the ac was plugged in.

After that, all went very smooth. SO far I haven't had a chance to test BT headset to see if it's better but will and I will report back...

EDIT:
well again so far so good, BT seems to work the same asa before. The few calls I've made, the caller said that it sounded a bit scratchy. I really never had any issues with BT before so I really have no comparision to make.

WMP is still 9.01, no 10 yet (booo).

WM2003SE ver 4.21.1088 (Build 15005.1.2.1) is the OS (in the about screen)

ROM ver: 1.33.10 WWE
ROM date: 01/21/05
Radio Ver: 1.02.10
Protocol ver: 1337.35
ExtROM ver: 1.33.110 WWE

asdrew
02-17-2005, 12:40 AM
My Moto 820 BT headset has stayed paired for 2 days now with absolutely no problems. The volume was fine before, but seemed a little louder now.

I may be imagining it, but my speakerphone seems louder too.

I sure would like to see a list from Siemens with all the issues this update addresses. Anyway, I'm glad to have the worst bugs gone!

stevew
02-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Does it put back all the GPRS and phone settings?

smittyofdhs
02-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Does it put back all the GPRS and phone settings?

yes, when the firmware is completed it's like having a brand new machine again. all apps and settings have to be reapplied.

If you are using this phone for another network, then yes you will have to re-enter all the changes again.

stevew
02-17-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm on Cingular. I wasn't really talking about the apps and so forth. I'm talking about all the GPRS and network settings related to Cingular.

smittyofdhs
02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm on Cingular. I wasn't really talking about the apps and so forth. I'm talking about all the GPRS and network settings related to Cingular.

well yeah, it puts them back to what they should be.....

If you use Cingular Wireless as your carrier and the phone was put out by Cingular, why would any of the settings be changed in the first place? maybe I'm missing your point.

stevew
02-17-2005, 01:44 AM
I wasn't sure if the Cingular network settings were in the SIM card or part of ROM

Jason Lee
02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
I'll update mine saturday. I'll finally have time then. I have soo much installed... :( This is gonna suck. I'll have to reinstall everything, reconfigure everything, and retweak the registry.... oh well. I used to like rebuilding my pocket pc but now i rely on it soooo much and have 30 some apps installed and configured.. It's a real pain. ;)
I'm not really having any trouble with mine but i'd hate to not have the latest and greatest. :)
I wish they would say exactly what this changes.

redlynr
02-17-2005, 10:34 PM
This probably isn't a surprise anymore, but I got the following repsonse from Siemens support:

"The ROM update was to address the problems that the phone was having
with various Bluetooth issues. If your phone is having problems connecting
to or staying connected to Bluetooth devices, then updating your device with
the patch will solve those issues."

smittyofdhs
02-17-2005, 10:39 PM
the sad thing is that it's more then a patch... it's a whole frickin' ROM update. If they wanted to patch the device then provide a patch, not a ROM upgrade. From what I've seen, nothing has been fixed with BT anyways, it's still scratchy and still doesn't work with certain headsets....

stevew
02-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Well right now I don't use bluetooth and I don't have any other issues with the device. So for me it's If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It.

Jason Lee
02-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Well i was getting ready to do the update but the program crashes on my desktop and wants to send an error report!? :?
Looking at the numbers you posted the radio and protocol versions did not change. the version of the os did not change but the build number did.
if there are no other fixes than bluetooth i don't think i need to do it. I haven't had any trouble with my bluetooth headset, and have only had the cannot load stack error one time.

I'm all backed up and all the new versions of my software are already downloaded.... What to do?

:(

I hate not doing the upgrade...

smittyofdhs
02-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Well i was getting ready to do the update but the program crashes on my desktop and wants to send an error report!? :?
Looking at the numbers you posted the radio and protocol versions did not change. the version of the os did not change but the build number did.
if there are no other fixes than bluetooth i don't think i need to do it. I haven't had any trouble with my bluetooth headset, and have only had the cannot load stack error one time.

I'm all backed up and all the new versions of my software are already downloaded.... What to do?

:(

I hate not doing the upgrade...

save your time and effort for a real ROM upgrade... this thing is worthless. Other then the new CIngular splash screen I haven't seen any improvement....

Jason Lee
02-17-2005, 11:32 PM
In the bluetooth settings under the about tab i have version 1.0.0 Build 2400

Did this even change?

or any new profiles added? like keyboard or headphones?

asdrew
02-18-2005, 12:48 AM
The build # went to 3500. My Moto 820 headset has not lost contact for 3 days since I did the update, it never lasted 1 day with full use before.

That was reason enough for me to do the update, with the size of the file and 15-20 mins to perform it, I seriously doubt that Bluetooth was the only thing updated. I sure would like to see an "issues resolved with this update" list from Siemens. I'm glad I did it and there have been zero negative effects that I have found.

Jason Lee
02-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, i cannot get the patch utility to run. Just after it closes activesync it crashes and windows wants to send an error report... I guess i could try installing activesync in my laptop and try it there but i'm not real sure i want to bother now after fighting with it for 4 hours last night.

If i knew the only thing it changed was the bluetooth software i would probably just wait until i had a problem. I have had no problems at all with bluetooth. But surely there were other changes to warent the rom update? dunno. I've got it downloaded, i can update when ever... Just hate not doing it. I was all ready last night. I downloaded the newest versions of everything i have on my ppc and backed everything else up. I was totally ready to go... How depressing and iritating. :)

So asdrew, when you say you've had your headset connected for 3 days now do you mean to say that you have the bluetooth on your ppc on and your headset on for 3 days non stop? wow.. i was under the impression that that would kill the battery in the headset. Besides when i close the mic flip on my moto headset it powers off and disconects.
You even leave the headset on overnight when you sleep?
wow no wonder i've never had any of the problems that others have had. I've never had my headset connected for more than an hour on a road trip. Usually less than 30 minutes while i drive across town. Even with my old phone i closed the mic (powered off the headset) until the phone rang. I thought that was how it was supposed to work. I guess that's why i had a few missed calls when it took a bit for the headset to reconnect. LOL
Well if that is the only fix, and my headset will stay connected for at least 4 or 5 hours then i will probably wait on the update.

Has anyone had trouble loosing connection with anything else over bluetooth? GPS, activesync? or was it just with headsets?

asdrew
02-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I have the Moto 820 headset (without a folding boom) &amp; the only time it is off is when it is charging every 1-2 days. I prefer not to have to turn it on &amp; off on either the headset or sx66, so I leave it on all the time. The headset turns itself off when you charge, so after charging I turn it back on.

I usually leave the headset handy in the car and turned on. I use it for calls while driving or go get it when I want to keep my hands free to keep working while on calls.

Before they would disconnect from each other at least once a day and I had to go through various gyrations to re-link them. Sometimes turn on &amp; off bluetooth radio, sometimes the headset, sometimes totally re-discover, etc. If I went out of range from my headset, say to go in a store, it may or may not still be linked when I got back in the car. Sometimes after charging, the sx66 could not find it. There seemed to be no consistency in how it connected or when it disconnected. Sound quality for me was always good as long as it was linking at the moment.

Now I can leave it on or off, walk away, leave it outside all night, whatever. When I'm back next to it and want to use it for a call, there it is, 100%. It's real nice not having to wonder if it's going to work or not.

I still would like to see an issues resolved list.

Jason Lee
03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Well, i've been using the new rom for about a month now and all i can say is that i'm VERY mad. I have to reboot my device aaaalll the time now. It's like only one part of the hardware will work at a time. The SD slot quits working, wireless won't turn on, bluetooth memory error, ie quits woking...

The device is soooo unstable now! I never had any trouble before. Now pocket ie will just stop going to web pages. I can still send and recieve email and log on to IM but i cannot get to a web page until i disconnect and reconnect to GPRS. Release and renew ip doesn't work either.

The SD slot will just quit working. It won't recognize my memory card, won't work with my camera. I've had to reboot 4 times once before the stupid slot would see my memory card.

When i enable wifi now the wait icon shows up for a few seconds and then nothing happens.. no error, no wifi. I have to reboot to get it to work.

Bluetooth no longer turns off when i turn the pocket pc off. Before the bluetooth would go off when you turned the pocket pc off unless you had a headset connected. I guess i can live with this but i don't like it.

When using my stowaway bluetooth keyboard and mouse the device will now fall asleep after it reaches the power off if in active time out. Before if i were useing my keyboard and mouse the pocket pc would stay awake as if i were actually touching the screen. Now i have to remember to go in and disable power management when i want to use my keyboard and mouse for more than 1 minute at a time. Plus if i forget to reinable it and a reminder goes off while i am not near my pocket pc it never shuts off!! Bye bye data.

I had none of these problems before. I should have never upgraded but the power user in me couldn't leave well enough alone.

I've even had it lock up when i was trying to answer or make a phone call. that never happened before.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
and is there anyway to go back to the previous rom version?

Aaarrghh! :evil:

Edit: oh and i forgot one that bit me again last night. You can make a phone call now with no audio. The call connects but i cannot hear them and they cannot hear me. I don't even hear the phone ringing before they pick up. You have to reboot to get it to work again.....!!