View Full Version : I've Just Made a Catastrophic Mistake!

Iain51
02-15-2005, 12:29 PM
I've just had a look at my first VGA PPC screen - wow! 8O :D The one I looked at was a 4700 and the screen is just amazing. The difference between that and my 2210 is far greater than I was expecting.

So, why catastrophic? Purely because I don't really need to upgrade, can't really justify the cost, but now having seen it boy do I want to! Plus, I'm not entirely convinced how I'd get on with the size of it. The touchpad I think I could deal with because I use one on my laptop and don't really use the Dpad on my 2210 other than when surfing.

I have seen a website selling them at 12 months interest free though..... :?

Menneisyys
02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
I've just had a look at my first VGA PPC screen - wow! 8O :D The one I looked at was a 4700 and the screen is just amazing. The difference between that and my 2210 is far greater than I was expecting.

So, why catastrophic? Purely because I don't really need to upgrade, can't really justify the cost, but now having seen it boy do I want to! Plus, I'm not entirely convinced how I'd get on with the size of it. The touchpad I think I could deal with because I use one on my laptop and don't really use the Dpad on my 2210 other than when surfing.

I have seen a website selling them at 12 months interest free though..... :?

Are you absolutely sure you need VGA? I have both an iPAQ 2210 and a Pocket Loox 720 (the latter having the same quality screen as the hx4700), and IRL I'm still using my 2210 as much as my Pocket Loox, mostly because I'm prefer using a dirt cheap device instead of smashing the screen of a hi-end one :) So, I still use my 2210 for note-taking, appointments, mp3 and stuff, and only take out the PL720 when I really need wi-fi / VGA.

Of course, there're cases when VGA/a device with a much better screen (there're a lot of QVGA devices with much better color saturation) than the 2210 is essential - reading docs, playing VGA games in PocketDOS (see e.g. ). But, the 2210 is still a very good PDA with simply great form factor, snappy program execution and excellent battery life.

Iain51
02-15-2005, 02:45 PM
:way to go: That's it, just what I'm after! Posts that discourage in a positive manner! :wink: You're certainly right about the form factor of the 2210 - it's lovely to hold. But the screen on the 4700....Mmmmm!

I also like the idea of having inbuilt wifi. I have a CF wifi card for the 2210 but it does drop the connection every so often. Picky? Yup! So, I can't imagine using both (what do you do with the Loox if you're PIMing etc on the 2210? Just reading/gaming?) I guess it would either go to my wife or be sold.

The other thing I've jsut thought of is whether I should just try and wait and see when/what WM2005 brings. What's the latest on that?

Menneisyys
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
what do you do with the 4700 if you're PIMing etc on the 2210? Just reading/gaming?

Yeah. In screen-wise less demanding tasks that require frequent taking out my PDA (writing down a note etc), I use the 2210. I also prefer the 2210 for recording my lectures into mp3 because it has a better microphone / sound unit than the PL720 (or, for that matter, the hx4700 - I wasn't really satisfied with the mike quality of the hx4700 either, compared to my old 2210).

At showing my photos, playing old VGA MS-DOS games, browsing the internet, chatting, reading books etc., the PL720 is unbeatable. Simply great, contrasty screen, tolerable battery life (with Wi-Fi with disabled power save and active BT connection to my ThinkOutside StowAway BT keyboard, it only consumes 25% juice an hour).

Menneisyys
02-15-2005, 03:18 PM
The other thing I've jsut thought of is whether I should just try and wait and see when/what WM2005 brings. What's the latest on that?

There're quite a few WM2005 threads out there:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35672
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111937
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111943
http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3109

etc.

Iain51
02-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Cheers, I will work my way through them!

Edit for spaling!