View Full Version : Expansion Pack batteries - a ton of questions

ipaqczar
02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I just got an CF Expansion Pack Plus with the slim battery and I have a bunch of questions:

1) When recharging - does it give priority to recharge the ipaq first, then the external battery - or vice versa? I know both lights blink simultaneously.

2) After both are charged 100% and you start using the ipaq - does it use power from the external battery first - then switch to the ipaq's internal - or vice versa?

3) I've heard that once the internal battery drops below a certain point - and the external battery has juice - it will trickle charge the internal battery. Does the light blink when this happens?

4) I'm looking for the non-battery slim back - the one I bought just came with a battery - so if anyone has an extra I would appreciate it.

Menneisyys
02-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I just got an CF Expansion Pack Plus with the slim battery and I have a bunch of questions:

1) When recharging - does it give priority to recharge the ipaq first, then the external battery - or vice versa? I know both lights blink simultaneously.

2) After both are charged 100% and you start using the ipaq - does it use power from the external battery first - then switch to the ipaq's internal - or vice versa?

3) I've heard that once the internal battery drops below a certain point - and the external battery has juice - it will trickle charge the internal battery. Does the light blink when this happens?

4) I'm looking for the non-battery slim back - the one I bought just came with a battery - so if anyone has an extra I would appreciate it.

I only have the 'traditional', first-gen, non-'plus' PCMCIA sleeve so I can only answer Q1 and Q3:

1. the batteries are charged simultaneously if the power adapter can supply the 2A to do so. (The factory power adapter shipped with the device does; some travel chargers, e.g., those of HAMA, however, can't),

3. no, it doesn't blink at all, even when there's trickle charging.

As for Q2, the + series are indeed better than the first one because they not only trickle charge the main battery. I, however, don't know whether the PDA first depletes the sleeve's battery first, gets juice from both batteries or the external battery only charges the internal one while the latter is actively used.

ipaqczar
02-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your help.

I found out the answers to my questions in the White Paper on batteries that HP did.

It does use the external battery first.

It also varies the level of the trickle charge based on how different the capacities are.

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/guides/308402-001_rev_us.pdf