View Full Version : Ipaq user in lion's den :) - X50v vs 4700

KuroNeko
02-14-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm looking for a new PDA (currently owning a 3970). It's become a choice between Dell X50v and Ipaq 4700.

The decision point will be most likely the screen quality. Reviews I've read show either a very similar quality or a somewhat washed out and overly bright Dell screen.

I'd like to hear opinions of people who either own a Dell X50v or who've seen both. Is the Dell too bright/washed out? Even with the Contrast Registry tweak?

Thx!

Neko

Darius Wey
02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
A lot of people have said that the hx4700, generally, has a better screen. Here's (http://www.jenneth.info/archives/2005/01/that_axim_is_da.html) a good blog entry by Jenneth which has a decent set of pictures of the two devices side-by-side.

Also, since this isn't really *Dell-specific*, I've moved this to Just Chattin'. You'll probably get more responses that way. :)

Menneisyys
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd like to hear opinions of people who either own a Dell X50v or who've seen both. Is the Dell too bright/washed out? Even with the Contrast Registry tweak?

You may want to read/see Deslock's comments and comparative screenshots at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630&start=20 .

KuroNeko
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Also, since this isn't really *Dell-specific*, I've moved this to Just Chattin'. You'll probably get more responses that way. :)

Thanks for the link. I posted here because I specifically want Dell owner opinions - if these folks say the Ipaq has a better screen, I'll believe them :D

Neko

ADBrown
02-14-2005, 07:41 PM
I've had both. The iPaq's colors are a little bit better and more vivid than the Axim's. That's pretty much it. The screen difference is vastly overhyped.

ethancaine
02-15-2005, 12:45 PM
As seen by my footnote, I own a X50v and have side-by-side compared it to a 4705. In my opinion, the colors in the 4700 are more defined but seem dark. The X50v display is brighter, but not as crisp. To me, the size difference and coloring was no where near the difference maker; the price and graphics power made the sale to me.

KuroNeko
02-15-2005, 01:46 PM
I've had both. The iPaq's colors are a little bit better and more vivid than the Axim's. That's pretty much it. The screen difference is vastly overhyped.

What I read from reviews came down to this: more vivid colors but too contrasty (no definition in dark scenes) vs less vivid/somewhat washed out colors but more definition in dark scenes.

From the answers in this thread - for which many thanks - I gather this is about accurate. Since the Dell is as expensive as the Ipaq to me, plus the Dell is not available for the next 2 months, the Ipaq is an option then.

Would it be possible to adapt the contrast in Betaplayer and by doing so get a bit better definition in dark scenes on the 4700? Or would this distort contrast so much the bright scenes would become washed out instead? Trying to get a feel of how bad this problem is...

Neko

Menneisyys
02-15-2005, 01:58 PM

What I read from reviews came down to this: more vivid colors but too contrasty (no definition in dark scenes) vs less vivid/somewhat washed out colors but more definition in dark scenes.

From the answers in this thread - for which many thanks - I gather this is about accurate. Since the Dell is as expensive as the Ipaq to me, plus the Dell is not available for the next 2 months, the Ipaq is an option then.

Would it be possible to adapt the contrast in Betaplayer and by doing so get a bit better definition in dark scenes on the 4700? Or would this distort contrast so much the bright scenes would become washed out instead? Trying to get a feel of how bad this problem is...

Neko

The 'dark' areas are indeed a problem with the hx4700 (the Pocket Loox 720 has the same screen, except for the DPI resolution). I have to always turn up the backlight to max when showing my images on my PL720 so that everything is visible.

However, the hx4700 (Pocket Loox 720) has another advantage over other PDA's: the wider viewing angle. The ppl over PocketMarix are just debating this subject at http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20577 .