View Full Version : GPS Trouble

Wildchild121007
02-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Ive just bought a POLSTAR GPS BT Wireless GPS P111. The problem being is that it wont pick up and satelittes unless i plug it in the mains, which is very strange, has anybody got any advice about this product or any body got any therios of what could be the problem.

Ive had it in the car for 20min without batteries and nothing?

Sven Johannsen
02-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Ive had it in the car for 20min without batteries and nothing?

Maybe I'm missing something here. What do you think is going to power it without batteries? The site says it can take a rechargeable or 3 AAA Ni-Cd batteries. If you have a rechargeable pack, did you let it charge up co,pletely before trying the unit?

Wildchild121007
02-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Sorry forgot about this page, anyways yes i could not get the GPS pack to work in my car, it did have a full 10 hr charge, strange i went to blackpool for the weekend in my mates car, left it on the dash, and it picked it up no problem at all, i came back and tried it in my car again, and nothing.
So i put it to the back of the car, on my parcel shelf, and it came on in a few seconds. For some reason somthing near the front of my car is blocking the signal.

Any ideas what it could be?

mattp
02-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I've read that some windshields have a special coating that blocks the GPS signal. Not sure if the coating is intended for enhanced UV rays blocking or what, but I've never experienced it personally. Apparantly, you are one of the lucky ones.

Gareth Lock
02-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Do you have a heated front windscreen as the mesh will prevent the very weak GPS signal getting through.

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

Wildchild121007
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Ive got a Peugeot 307, but ive not got heated front windows, but i have on the back. Its really weird.

WhiteStarLine
02-18-2005, 04:07 AM
Do you have a heated front windscreen .

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

This seems to be on the right track. A metallic window tint or a solar reflective windshield will impact the signal.

Do you have or can you borrow an external active antenna, such as the MCX connection type sold with popular brands such as the Globalstar? While I have an old car and I get great reception, this type of antenna has 4 metres of cable so in your circumstances you could easily reach the back of the car or anywhere you can find good reception.

Good luck.

mattp
02-18-2005, 04:22 AM
From this source: www.blackspot.com.au/downloads/docs/ra1usb/userguide.pdf (see page 10), comes the following quote:

"Note: Certain vehicles (in particular top specification BMW, Mercedes, Renault Peugeot & Citroen) have UV screens that block the GPS signals from entering the vehicle, which can stop ROAD ANGEL from acquiring its position. These vehicles require an additional antenna to support ROAD ANGEL (please contact Sentinel Geo systems for details). Heated screens can also affect signal strength." (Bold added for emphasis).