View Full Version : Formatting an SD card (that doesn't respond to normal procedures) HELP!

russpetrone
02-12-2005, 05:36 AM
:( I have a Panasonic 512mg card that I had a 1/2 gig of pics on .... I 'deleted' the images using the standard "Highlight & Delete" method. I have not been able to use the card since. Any attempt to 'format' doing a right click on the appropriate reader drive and picking 'format', only gives me reader (indicator light) activity, which eventually stops ...... BUT IT WILL NOT FORMAT!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

ipaqczar
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I would download a copy of Flash Format and use that.

The trial version is fully functional. It can tell you what is up with your card and allow you to change the Fat & cluster sizes when you do a new format.

http://www.cnetx.com/format/

russpetrone
02-14-2005, 06:20 PM
I downloaded the trial version of Flash Format without any problem. The program recognized and read every card I own, EXCEPT the problem Panasonic 512mg card ..... It failed to see it, so I'm back to square one. I hate to just throw a $50. bill out the window, but I guess that's my only alternative. Thanks for your help.

ipaqczar
02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Wow,

That really does suck. I just had a coworker the other day whose card reader went bad.

So the card definitly doesn't work in either a card reader or in your ipaq?

Did it just suddenly happen - maybe it got dropped or left in the cold or something?

Any kind of warranty from where you bought it? The pics on there - I hope you have back ups?

russpetrone
02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Card wasn't dropped or left in cold ...... I just deleted pics (I have back-ups on my desktop) and card never worked again. I don't have time to mess with it, I'll just buy another, no big!

nitestrike
02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Had you had the card in a camera and saved the pictures or some of them on there that way?

jwhayn
02-16-2005, 05:27 PM
My camera was able to format a SD card recently that neither my HX4700 or PC USB card reader/writer were able to format. After that, I had no further problems with a reformat on the iPAQ. The card seems to be working normally. Just an anecdotal experience so this may not work for you.