View Full Version : any help or tips how to eliminate hangin' PPC?

fce
02-12-2005, 04:29 AM
im experiencing freeze/hanging PPC (ipaq6300series)....is there any tips/help how to eliminate that problem?

almost all of my program is at SD card so not sure whats the cause of that hangin' problem.

thanks in advance!

GSmith
02-12-2005, 03:43 PM
This may not answer your question, but this is my experience.

I have noticed that in some cases my SD card will have incorrect data. When writing and reading data, this can result in an IOError exception. In many cases, it apparantly results in silent corrupt reading (it is unclear to me whether the *reading* is corrupt or the *writing* is corrupt). I have not debugged all permutations of this, but it is rather disconcerting when it occurs during read and writing of data.

I speculate that if the data corruption occurs silently during the system loading an application file, then I could imagine that this could result in hanging.

I have also seen certain circumstances where an application appears to hang, but is actually either waiting on data from a connection or data from an SD card. In these case, simply waiting for the application to return sometimes "works". This can take 2-3 minutes. But I do not know how to tell the difference between a truly hung application and an application that will come back after 2-3 minutes, besides waiting. And it may be the case that the application will come back after 3 minutes. There are some cases where waiting overnight (greater than 6 hours) does not result in the application coming back. Obviously, even if the application "came back" after that amount of time, it would not be practically different than "never".

I need to stress that these are very rare occurances, but I have seen them in my testing.

fce
02-13-2005, 02:12 AM
This may not answer your question, but this is my experience.

I have noticed that in some cases my SD card will have incorrect data. When writing and reading data, this can result in an IOError exception. In many cases, it apparantly results in silent corrupt reading (it is unclear to me whether the *reading* is corrupt or the *writing* is corrupt). I have not debugged all permutations of this, but it is rather disconcerting when it occurs during read and writing of data.

I speculate that if the data corruption occurs silently during the system loading an application file, then I could imagine that this could result in hanging.

I have also seen certain circumstances where an application appears to hang, but is actually either waiting on data from a connection or data from an SD card. In these case, simply waiting for the application to return sometimes "works". This can take 2-3 minutes. But I do not know how to tell the difference between a truly hung application and an application that will come back after 2-3 minutes, besides waiting. And it may be the case that the application will come back after 3 minutes. There are some cases where waiting overnight (greater than 6 hours) does not result in the application coming back. Obviously, even if the application "came back" after that amount of time, it would not be practically different than "never".

I need to stress that these are very rare occurances, but I have seen them in my testing.

thanks for sharing your experience gsmith!

when my unit experiencing some application hung it takes more than 5mins so i dont want to wait that long, i just reset my unit.

is there any file that need to remove in my ipaq that might causing the hung problem? or need to scan for repair same as checkdisk for PC?