View Full Version : Creating Manual Partnership / USB Broken

REDONDOS
02-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Short: I need to create a manual partnership on my PPC so that I can connect via WiFi because my USB connector stopped working and I haven't got an IRda device for my PC/Laptop.

Long:
This is my problem: My PPC device's USB connector has somehow broken. Before knowing that, and in the attempt of figuring it out, I hard resetted it. It is a DELL Axim x3i, it is WiFi enabled but not BT enabled. I have a wireless access point so connecting through it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, the thing is that my device's memory is clear and ActiveSync doesn't "remember" its partnership with my computer. So I went ahead and figured that the following key has the information about partnerships:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

So what I did is just copied over this key, subkeys and values from a borrowed PPC, after making the appropriate partnerships, to mine. Note the following REG_SZ value:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\P1\PName = REFINERY (which is my computer's name)

Please also note that the name of the two devices are the same: Pocket_PC (for testing purposes)

After configuring wireless access, which works great, I opened up my PPC's ActiveSync, went to Tools -> Options and selected this computer for synchronization. Also checked the "Sync with this PC during manual sync" box.

Closed the options dialog, tapped the Sync button. My computer's ActiveSync shows nothing and my PPC tells me it can't synchronize.
I thought it was because the PPC can't resolve REFINERY to its IP address: 10.0.0.5. So I changed the value of PName to 10.0.0.5.

Ok, now after tapping the Sync button again my PPC shows "Connecting", as well as my computer. After 10 seconds or so I get this error on my computer: "Critical communications services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and then connect again."

Meanwhile, my PPC still shows "Connecting" for like 5 minutes then says that communications with my computer cannot be established.

I'm sure there must be a way of doing this correctly. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot,
RED

bigneeker
03-19-2005, 12:34 AM
i would also like to know how to do this. i am getting an mpx soon and it is missing the usb cable so my only option will be to sync through wifi but i dont know how to make it work without having it sync at least once with a cable.
there has to be a way to do this.

Cybrid
03-22-2005, 08:40 PM
www.ebay.com i'm sure you could find third party sync cables for cheap. Why take up so much of your time?