View Full Version : Attachments wont open

darthbane2k
02-11-2005, 01:26 PM
After fiddling with my windows mobile 2003 registry (first edition) in a sucessful effort to put attachments on my storage (SD not file storage) card I now cannot open my attachements in pocket outlook, when I tap on the attachment nothing happens, when I hold my stylus on it i get the save to/saveas option but again nothing happens.
I AM NOT PREPARED TO HARD RESET

YES, I HAVE SEARCHED THIS ANOT OTHER FORUMS HIGH AND LOW AND CAN FIND NO SOLUTION

I am almost certain this is a registry problem, I have a connections/mail attachment folder in program files but it is empty.

PLEASE HELP or at least post your registry key so i may verify

baker
02-11-2005, 03:00 PM
My 4155 was doitg the same thing. The only thing that fixed it for me was a hard reset. I've read where it is caused by a corrupted mail database.

darthbane2k
02-11-2005, 07:00 PM
yeah,I realise this, but as I said im not prepared to hard reset and lose all of my data because of it.
SURELY there must be a fix or at LEAST could someone post a correct and working Registry value....

CTSLICK
02-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Lacking a good answer on how to cure this...I'm just curious what data you would lose in a hard reset that a good back up of your device could not restore?

Islanti
02-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I've run into this before. The problem isn't that you moved your mail storage. The folder \Program Files\Connections\Mail Attachments\ must exist in order for the mail program to launch the attachments. Mail copies the attachment from the storage location to this path before launching the attachment.

Don't ask me why, it just does. :)

If you recreate that folder, it should work fine.

darthbane2k
02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Lacking a good answer on how to cure this...I'm just curious what data you would lose in a hard reset that a good back up of your device could not restore?

well my activesync backs up everytime i sync so if I hard reset and restore that backup then it will also restore the currupted mailbox registry right?

darthbane2k
02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I've run into this before. The problem isn't that you moved your mail storage. The folder \Program Files\Connections\Mail Attachments\ must exist in order for the mail program to launch the attachments. Mail copies the attachment from the storage location to this path before launching the attachment.

Don't ask me why, it just does. :)

If you recreate that folder, it should work fine.

recreated the folder, soft resetted and it STILL DOES NOT WORK
I have found the place in the registry that logs the location of the folder and it seems okay, so i have NO idea why things arent working.Can you type your reg values for PMAIL / ATTACHMENTS and MSSAGE STORE here so that I can use them, or better still actually upload the reg file here so i can import

darthbane2k
02-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Never mind, fixed it.
It seems there are MULTIPLE keys in the registry that refer to the connections folder. I just fixed them all back to program files/connections/mail attachments and all is well.

Thanks for the effort folks!

CTSLICK
02-12-2005, 01:12 AM

well my activesync backs up everytime i sync so if I hard reset and restore that backup then it will also restore the currupted mailbox registry right?

Glad you fixed it! Just to close out this thought, I always forget that I use Sprite PocketBackup. This app allows me to selectively restore from a full backup. You are correct that an AS backup would restore all the bad stuff too. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

baker
02-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Congrats. You're solution,IMHO, is going to be used many times over.