View Full Version : HP 2750 or Loox 718?

TLS_DK
02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I am in a dilemma, I need to make a choice between the new HP 2750 or Fujitsu Siemens Loox 718. There are no other options.

The choice made will be the standard PDA for an organization with 700 employees. The main usage will be synchronizing with MS Exchange 2003, Wifi and document viewing.

Both models has their pros and cons and almost the same pricing.

If anyone could give me some input on their experience with either models I would very much appreciate it. I have searched through the Internet and found lots of information. Not enough for me to make a choice though, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerly
Thomas

Menneisyys
02-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi,

I am in a dilemma, I need to make a choice between the new HP 2750 or Fujitsu Siemens Loox 718. There are no other options.

The choice made will be the standard PDA for an organization with 700 employees. The main usage will be synchronizing with MS Exchange 2003, Wifi and document viewing.

Both models has their pros and cons and almost the same pricing.

If anyone could give me some input on their experience with either models I would very much appreciate it. I have searched through the Internet and found lots of information. Not enough for me to make a choice though, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerly
Thomas

If "DK" in your nickname stands for Denmark, then, go for the Pocket Loox, because it's 1, VGA, and is, therefore, much better suited at reading any kind of docs 2, is an European product, and, therefore, because of the lack of the customs, much cheaper in Europe than anywhere else; 3, you'll have local service centers with much less turnaround times (and, which is also very important, you also support the European economy).

The iPAQ only has one real advantage over the 718: the fingerprint scanner. If you plan to use it in your enterprise, go for the iPAQ. Also, because it's a QVGA device, scrolling the menus is a lot faster with it than with any VGA device. The latter is only an issue when you're displaying/navigating icons in Start Menu/Programs and other op. system screens, however - you'll hardly encounter any speed difference in apps.

I'd prefer the 718 over the iPAQ, especially if you're European.

TLS_DK
02-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Menneisyys thanks for your quick response and usable reply :)

Do you know if there are any big differences concerning safety in the light of WiFi and Bluetooth datatransfer? I know when the 2750 is mentioned in different (at the moment very few) reviews, one focus is the security factors. Do you know if the 718 is lacking something that is gained with 2750?

And yes I am from Denmark :)

Sincerly
Thomas

Phillip Dyson
02-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Another advantage of the iPaq is the 128/128 memory config. You employes can do backups to ROM and restore without worrying about loosing the SD or CF cards on the road. That way even the back is protected under the thumb print recognition.

However, if you need a camera then the Loox. Also the USB host on the look allows you to attach a keyboard (at a minimum out of the box) for ease of data entry. And of course all of the items mentioned by Menn

Of course knowing how your employees might be using the devices would allow more informed feedback. Assuming that its not shadow-ops. Then you might want something "Ruggedized". :)

Menneisyys
02-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I know when the 2750 is mentioned in different (at the moment very few) reviews, one focus is the security factors. Do you know if the 718 is lacking something that is gained with 2750?

Yeah, the fingerprint reader and some additional security pre-installed apps.

Menneisyys
02-10-2005, 09:54 PM
However, if you need a camera then the Loox.

There's no camera in the 718.

Phillip Dyson
02-11-2005, 04:02 AM
However, if you need a camera then the Loox.

There's no camera in the 718.

Oops. I guess I was projecting 720. :oops:

TLS_DK
02-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi,

Thanks all for your reponses. I stayed up till 1.30 last night re-testing both models. It's hard to come to a conclusion, but after a lot of consideration I have chosen HP 2750, due to the fact that it:
- has more space for backup
- has more focus on security, so that a 3rd party type of software isn't as necessary as it would be with Loox 718
- usage is focused on checking e-mail and calendar, reading documents etc. so the VGA screen would be a nice feature but not a necessity.
- the Loox 718 tends to be more slippery when you have warm/moist(?) hands as does the pen. The pen actually tends to slip and you need to slide it back down with your fingers during usage (annoyed me a little), where the HP 2750 is made out of a steady material as is the pen.

I must admit I fell in love with the nice display on the Loox718, but the overall experience was better with HP 2750, in my opinion.

Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate it :)

Sincerly
Thomas from Denmark

Menneisyys
02-12-2005, 11:35 AM
- the Loox 718 tends to be more slippery when you have warm/moist(?) hands as does the pen. The pen actually tends to slip and you need to slide it back down with your fingers during usage (annoyed me a little), where the HP 2750 is made out of a steady material as is the pen.

You will want to buy a decent case (e.g., that of Brando, as far as the PL is concerned) for all the depolyed PDA's; in them, they are not slippery. Furthermore, the Brando case has a dedicated slot for keeping the stylus, so you won't need to put the styli back into the PDA.