View Full Version : Transfereing software files

muddog
02-08-2005, 12:57 AM
What is the best way to transfer software files from the main memory, My Docs. folder to a storage card? I would like to open up some of the main memory on my Ipaq 1945, I am almost out so of coures it is getting harder to run what I have. Can I copy/paste the main folder to a storage card, or would the software work better if I copy/paste the indivual files? If I do this of course I do not want the software to sync back into the default folder so would'nt I have to delete everything out of the My Documents to keep the main memory open? Thanks to all for your help. Gordon Gaines.

jimski
02-08-2005, 06:52 AM
While it may be possible to move some software programs from main memory to a storage card using the cut and paste method, it is best to first uninstall the program from the PPC and then reinstall the program, selecting a storage card instead of the default location when prompted to indicate where the program should be loaded. The later method is better as registry keys and shortcuts get updated properly.

Regarding your My Documents folder you can move any files that don't need to be regularly synced with your desktop, like photos, pdf files, music, etc., to your storage card. But as ActiveSync will only sync with the My Documents folder located in your main memory, files that you share with your desktop should stay in this folder.

Keep in mind though if for some reason your storage card fails you will lose all the information on it. This is not a big deal for programs as you can reinstall them, but any data stored on a storage card should be copied/backed up on your PC so you can restore if needed.