View Full Version : Looking for a really awesome PPC with like everything... any suggestions?

strongbad6565
02-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm looking for the best all-around PPC out there. I want one with all of the following features:

at least 1 SD card slot
at least 1 CF card slot (type I/II)
vibrates for alerts
mouselike cursor like that of the hx4700
IR
Bluetooth
WiFi
lots of space for iPAQ File Store (like, 80 MB or more)
at least 64 MB RAM (preferably at least 128 MB)
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition (Premium Edition preferred)

Any suggestions you might have are appreciated. Thanks!

-Chris

LordVagabond
02-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Doesn't that pretty much describe the iPAQ hx series? If you want the full shebangie, then the hx 4700 is your best bet. That has EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink

Janak Parekh
02-06-2005, 02:48 AM
Moved to Just Chattin' since this isn't device-specific.

--janak

strongbad6565
02-06-2005, 02:58 AM
The problem is, the hx series PPCs don't vibrate, and they don't have very much memory outside of iPAQ file store.

OSUKid7
02-06-2005, 03:09 AM
The problem is, the hx series PPCs don't vibrate, and they don't have very much memory outside of iPAQ file store.
I haven't had a problem with that. I install most programs to the file store, a few to RAM if they need it, and large programs/games to an SD card.

Regarding vibrate, do any non-PPCPE models offer this?

Janak Parekh
02-06-2005, 03:46 AM
Regarding vibrate, do any non-PPCPE models offer this?
Only the iPAQ 5450/5550, I believe, and they don't have SE, CF, etc.

I personally really like that feature on my Smartphone (and liked it on my Pocket PC Phone). Of course, neither have CF, nor mouseability...

Anyway, Chris, if the vibrate and mouseability is a must, the only choice would be to go with a 4700 and see if one can get a vibration dongle for it (which may not be so easy to find anymore, I haven't seen one in a few years.) If the mouseability/CF are optional, a few Pocket PC Phones support the featurelist. There isn't one Pocket PC that has every feature -- at least yet.

--janak

strongbad6565
02-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Vibration dongle? Isn't it the battery that vibrates though? How would I make my PPC vibrate if it couldn't normally? And...Regarding vibrate, do any non-PPCPE models offer this?What is this PPCPE you speak of?Regarding vibrate, do any non-PPCPE models offer this?
Only the iPAQ 5450/5550, I believe, and they don't have SE, CF, etc.SE? :?: (Sorry, I'm not exactly a PPC expert, lol)

OSUKid7
02-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Regarding vibrate, do any non-PPCPE models offer this?What is this PPCPE you speak of? (Sorry, I'm not exactly a PPC expert, lol)
Pocket PC Phone Edition.

strongbad6565
02-06-2005, 05:02 AM
Ah... yeah, Pocket PC Phone Edition wouldn't really work for me... I'm looking for a good Pocket PC that I can take with me to school, but it can't be a phone cuz my school doesn't allow cell phones to be out during classes. (The reason I need it to be able to vibrate, btw, is cuz I want to be able to be alerted of things, i.e. when class is about to end, or reminded of things, i.e. to meet in a different location than normal for the next class, without having my Pocket PC make noise.)

dignow96
02-06-2005, 05:04 AM
PPCPE = Pocket PC Phone Edition

As far as the vibration dongle goes I haven't had any luck finding one for my FS Loox 720. I had been looking until I broke down and got my Jam. Memory is an issue but it will be going to PPCTechs for the upgrade soon and the lack of dual slots is also a problem for me but the tiny form factor makes up for it. I'm learning to deal. That and I still have my Loox when required.

Darius Wey
02-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Only the iPAQ 5450/5550, I believe, and they don't have SE, CF, etc.SE? :?: (Sorry, I'm not exactly a PPC expert, lol)

I think Janak was making reference to the OS - i.e. WM2003SE (Second Edition), as you specified in your initial post. However, you also stated you prefer Premium Edition. WM2003SE isn't broken down into professional or premium versions like its predecessor, WM2003. It now appears in the one version - and there are other variants such as the PPCPE version, etc.

For the record, WM2003SE is newer than WM2003 (Premium).

strongbad6565
02-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Guess what I could do is just get some kinda little vibrating alarm clock and carry it to class with me. Hope those don't cost too much money... the hx4700's gonna cost me quite a bundle in itself. Wish everything was included in one PPC, but I guess we'll have to wait 'til later for that.

jimski
02-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Guess what I could do is just get some kinda little vibrating alarm clock and carry it to class with me.

Or maybe just a watch with a vibrating alarm.

Janak Parekh
02-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Ah... yeah, Pocket PC Phone Edition wouldn't really work for me... I'm looking for a good Pocket PC that I can take with me to school, but it can't be a phone cuz my school doesn't allow cell phones to be out during classes.
Well, most Pocket PC Phone Editions don't look much like cell phones, and you can turn the phone part off.

That said, PPCPEs don't have some of the other features you need, like CF slots.

--janak

Wiggster
02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Guess what I could do is just get some kinda little vibrating alarm clock and carry it to class with me.

Or maybe just a watch with a vibrating alarm.

Or a cell phone.