View Full Version : Sync with Mac and Entourage

wrightca
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Does anyone sync with Entourage on a Mac?

I've seen the missing sync, but can't find any indication that this works with Entourage.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

CrashX
02-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Take a look at PocketMac Pro. I think it's just what you're looking for.http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmpro3/pmpro3.html

wrightca
02-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks, that seems to do most of the trick. The only thing I think I'll have to give up is Pocket Quicken. There doesn't seem to be a Mac->Pocket PC Pocket Quicken version.

I do have a questions about PocketMac, though. I'm having problems after I disconnect the PPC from the Mac. I can't seem to get it to connect again without rebooting. I'm simply removing it from the cradle when I disconnect. Is there a special way to remove the PPC? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

CrashX
02-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Wish I could help you there, but I've never actually used PocketMac. I only knew that it existed. Maybe someday I sync with my iBook but for now I just sync with my PC laptop and desktop.

wrightca
02-07-2005, 09:08 AM
No problem. You provided plenty of help just pointing me in the right direction.

Chris

Anthony Caruana
02-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I've been using pocket PC for some time (almost a year) and it's the most "interesting" application on my iBook. While it does work most of the time I find that it crashes regularly and that some features just don't work the way i expected.

I've posted on this recently at my site (www.thepdaguy.com) as has Jenneth (www.jenneth.info). Neither of us has had much luck with email sync.

Missing Sync doesn't support Entourage but it will soon. There's a new release coming and it will have support for Entourage. I'm going to buy Missing Sync as I've ditched Entourage and am using mail.app, iCal and Address Book.

I'll be posting on it in the next week or two.

CTSLICK
02-10-2005, 04:28 PM
...as I've ditched Entourage and am using mail.app, iCal and Address Book.

Funny, so have I. Everytime I try to use Entourage I come up with another reason why I like Apple Mail, iCal and Address Book better.

For the record I just started using Pocket Mac Pro to synch my calendar. I went with Entourage first but switched to iCal. I felt I could better define the schedules I wanted to view with iCal.

I have found Pocket Mac Pro reliable using a bluetooth connection between my PowerBook and my Axim X5-Ambicom BT CF Card combo. I did have one occasion where the PowerBook did not seem to want to "let go" of the connection even though I had shut off my Axim. Other than that its all been good.

CrashX
02-11-2005, 06:54 AM
I found this while browsing the net today and thought it may be of interest to some of you:That syncing feeling: using PocketMac to sync my iBook and iPAQ (http://www.jenneth.info/archives/2005/02/that_syncing_fe_1.html)

apmiller
02-12-2005, 03:03 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a Mac. How would those of you who have ppc and a mac characterize the relationship between the two? ARe they easy to sync? Compatable? What exactly are entourage and iCal?

CrashX
02-12-2005, 04:43 AM
I have an iBook for development purposes, but do not sync with it.

Microsoft Entourage is the Mac equivelant to Outlook on a Windows platform. iCal is Apple's own calendar application.

CTSLICK
02-12-2005, 04:47 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a Mac. How would those of you who have ppc and a mac characterize the relationship between the two? ARe they easy to sync? Compatable? What exactly are entourage and iCal?

I picked up my first Apple, a Powerbook, about 9 months ago but just decided to try synching my PPC, an Axim X5, about 1 month ago. Synching via PocketMac proved easy enough. I was little disappointed with the lack of synch options versus ActiveSync. Its missing things like being able to limit the synch to specific categories. But the developer seems pretty active so I would expect improvements in the future.

Entourage is Microsoft's attempt to bring Outlook to the Apple. As I alluded to before, it has not turned out to be a good solution for me. It looks very powerful, I guess its more than I need. Its odd because I do like Outlook on the PC.

iCal is Apple's calendar program, its comes as a standard app. Nothing fancy but a good app. I have better luck getting just the info I want to display the way I want to see it. I guess it just seems less complicated.

A bigger problem for you could be installing applications. Most ppc installers need a Windows PC to install. Some developers can provide you a cab file so that you can run the install right on your ppc. PocketMac can also try to extract the cab files from a Windows .exe file but I have not tried that. But this can limit your install options as you won't be able to choose place the app on a storage card instead of the default install location. So if you are thinking of going Apple only you might need to consider this issue. For me, I still have a Windows PC at home and one at work so I am ok.

Anthony Caruana
02-12-2005, 05:59 AM
As it's been said. one of the hassles with using a Mac is that PPC applications usually require a Windows machine for installation. A way around that might be to use one of the free emulators like Qemu to have a virtual windows system just for installations. Or even Virtual PC if you want to spend the money on it.

I'm going to play with that today. I'm hoping that I can just do it with Windows 98 so that I don't have to bother with a Win XP installation