View Full Version : Using my old Toshiba E330 as a universal remote

myrampar
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I am interested in using my Toshiba E330 as a universal remote. I was wondering if there is any software out there that is easy to program for A/V gear. I currently have a Sony A/V receiver, a Tivo Series 2 DVR, Sony Television and Toshiba DVD/VCR player.

I've used trials of a few and they still seem a bit tedious to set up.

I was reasearching universal remotes the other day and was really impressed by the Logitech Harmony remotes. Being able to go online and select your components, what input each is using on the receiver and configuring macros to turn on multilple components. The best part is downloading the configuration file and transferring it to the remote via usb.

Does anyone offer something similar for the PDA?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

mattp
02-03-2005, 05:27 PM
This might be stupid and you might have already done it, but the first thing I'd suggest is that you determine the IR range for the device. If it has CIR, then I don't think you have any problems. Mine has FIR, which gets good distance, but in my experience has a narrow beam. Regardless, I love using it as a remote control. I've seen numerous references where SIR can operate components from only a few inches away.

With regard to software, I use TV Remote Controller from pdawin.com. In standard mode, it is probably much like the other software you've trialed in that it has some standard profiles and can "learn" commands from your components' remotes. However, it additionally can use "CCF" files, which are the standard used by Phillips Pronto univeral remotes. If you go to the pdawin website, it'll give more details and has a link to another site where people have already created CCF files for a plethora of components. If you can find a CCF file for your components, you only have to download the file and copy it to your PDA to use. Phillips also has software to create your own CCF files, but it doesn't sound like you want to go through that much trouble.

I never got much into the CCF files, but I did download one for our DVD player. It worked very well, but I preferred the standard mode and had the software learn all of the DVD functions from the remote.

myrampar
02-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not sure what kind of IR is. I'm guessing CIR. The spec sheet on Toshiba just mentions IrDA infrared port (115kbps).

I have tested the range before and it seems to be at least 30 feet.

I have used TV Remote Controller before but I will give it another shot. It has been awhile. I don't think at the time I ever tried using the CCF files.

Thanks again!