View Full Version : Does sync cable need to warm up? Causing screen blink!

nategesner
02-02-2005, 03:07 PM
I bought a sync/charge cable and use it on a computer that I already synchronized with using my cradle. I took the cradle to work and wanted to just keep a cable at home because I don't sync or load software here very often. Anyway, when I first connect to the computer, my Axim screen flickers a LOT. It's not a steady pace, but gets as much as probably 5-10 flickers per second. It tries sync'ing, but either won't at all or it syncs for a minute or so and then disconnects.

Now, here's the funny part. If I just leave the sync cable plugged in for about ten minutes, the flickering goes away completely. I can then unplug and plug back in and it syncs with no problems! Is it possible that the cable requires warming? Anyone else experience this?

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Sync cables don't need to warm up, but what they do need is sufficient power to both sync and charge your device. Based on what you're seeing, I'd say that your USB port is just on the threshold of having enough power, or that the cable is

What brand of cable are you using? These are the best IMO:

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Accessories.asp?type=lilsync

KimVette
02-02-2005, 08:32 PM
<begin lame attempt at humor>

Maybe he's got one of those vacuum-tube sync cables!!

</end lame attempt at humor :D>

Seriously though, Jason hit the nail on the head. If you have CF or SD devices (even storage cards) in your PDA, try removing those to reduce the current requirements and that may eliminate the flickering.

nategesner
02-03-2005, 06:01 AM
There's just one problem: if this were due to a bad cable, why does the problem only exist for the first 5-10 minutes EVERY TIME?

I plug it in and let it sit. It flickers like mad, tries to sync, and eventually gives up. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes until the flickering stops, turn it off and then turn it on. It syncs and functions perfectly. Every time.

I've sync'd with battery levels around 50% and I've had failure syncs with battery strength at 98%. I am under the impression the Axim can draw power from the battery and USB cable simultaneously, so I doubt the power draw is a factor. The USB port doesn't fluctuate the power output, otherwise the problem would show up at different times, not during just the first 5-10 minutes. The Axim always draws the same amount, so the same holds true.

This is a strange situation. It's more of a hassle than anything, but it would be nice to know if there is a fix or if someone at least knows the cause.