View Full Version : Wisbar Advanced 2: a pain in my AAAAAXIM. ;)

nategesner
02-01-2005, 05:24 AM
I love the ability to skin my taskbar using Wisbar Advanced 2, but I've discovered it causes a lot of problems with my VGA device. For example, every time I close Adobe Acrobat, my device does a soft reset. If I exit WA2, Acrobat Reader works perfectly.

I also installed a 3-D game for my Axim and it played so slow I couldn't use it. With WA2 turned off, the game plays incredibly fast!

How is it such a little skinning application can cause so much trouble? I'm getting rid of it and moving to Magic Button, which is free. I won't be able to skin my task bar, but at least things will work...

ironguy
02-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I know a lot of the Axim problems were fixed in the latest release. I think it's 2.0.1.12. I'll also point out that it is a beta piece of software so there will be issues. Try using Wis version 1 if you still want the capability.

nategesner
02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I've got the latest version and it's registered. I don't mean to sound harsh, particularly with my original title. It's just that it sounded good! ;)

I've been a fan of Wisbar almost since its inception and will continue to recommend it to others. It's just causing too many conflicts with programs I use on a regular basis. Apparently, this is a problem specific to my device. I'm keeping it on my Axim and will continue to monitor the upgrades to see if things smooth out. I know Chris works VERY hard to keep users happy.

Lex
02-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Nate, this may be no help but I was very hesitant to move to WA2 but recently someone talked me into trying the version that comes with the initial purchase, 2.0.1.10, and it's been very stable for me. I do have a different PPC and a different OS. Was 2.0.1.10 also buggy on your Axim?

nategesner
02-02-2005, 06:18 AM
I didn't use WA2 until I upgraded to my Axim. Prior to that I used the free 1.X versions. As soon as I got my Axim, I downloaded WA2 and shelled out the bucks without even testing it. I started out with 2.0.1.10 and then moved to 2.0.1.12. I haven't tried moving backwards because it didn't sound like any changes were made that might cause the problem. I'll go check out the older version and see if that makes any difference.

Again, my apologies to Chris - or any lovers of his program - if my comments sound harsh. Just to be clear: I am still using WA2 on my PDA! I'll just have to shut it down now and then to get certain things to fully work. These issues are a small price to pay for having a sharp-looking taskbar!

Lex
02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey Nate, I applaud your tactfulness but if stuff doesn't work with WA2, it's just fact, right? I went back to my favorite alarm clock app (zzzMachine) once I got my new PPC and WA2. After spending two hours making a new font set for the alarm clock found out WA2 prevented setting alarms ! Sort of a problem to have an alarm clock you can't set an alarm time for. So, I uninstalled the clock app. :)

nategesner
02-02-2005, 02:44 PM
I have MortPlayer installed (free music player) and it has an alarm function that lets me wake up to music! It even has a snooze function. You should check it out if you like music and you want an alarm. So far, it works flawlessly with WA2.