View Full Version : h2215 lost all data again, backup file corrupt

Jaie
01-31-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm trying really hard not to throw my h2215 iPac at the wall this morning. It drained its battery and reset itself over the holidays, after which it took me until last week to get it back in working order. Over the weekend, it (@^$^*!#@ did it again.

Ah-ha, I thought, lucky I did a backup on Friday. 8)

Ah-ha right back, thought the iPac, your backup file is corrupt! Ha, ha, ha. :evil:

Two questions:
Is there anything I can do to prevent this phenomenon where I think the iPac is off but it obviously isn't since the battery gets drained?
Any way to test my backup file before I need it so I can be sure it will work?

Also, if you have an ideas about how I could restore that corrupt backup file I'd be appreciative.

pr0vider
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
This happened to me once too often and I bought Sprite Premium Backup. No problems with restoring since then...

phs
02-01-2005, 08:05 AM
It's never really "off" in a sense. It takes power to maintain all the data in RAM, so even when it's powered down, it continues to drain the battery.

I always make a separate backup of PIM databases only. It always restores perfectly.

applejosh
02-01-2005, 04:42 PM
While I think throwing it against a wall or running over it with a car would be most satisfying, you should probably just go back to bed and sleep. ;)

(Hunting down the individual who engineered it would take too much effort, and it could poison the dogs.)

MitchellO
02-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Well, I know how you feel. I had to refrain from chucking my 2210 a couple of times (typically throwing it onto my bed), but the days of the irritation are gone with my 4350. It is the best pocket pc i have owned (WiFi, Bluetooth, keyboard, 1gb sd :lol: :wink: ).

BTW, its spelt iPAQ.

Good luck with fixing it.

Jaie
02-03-2005, 11:11 PM
BTW, its spelt iPAQ.

Grr. I hate when I do that. (In my defense, I work in a library and our online "card catalog" is the ipac, and I think my fingers just get so used to typing that they refuse to go for ipaq -- see, even typing it now is a struggle.)

Yeah, if I could afford an upgrade I would go for it. In the meantime, I think I'll get the full version of Sprite backup ...

MitchellO
02-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Try the 10 day evaluation first. At $30, it isn't cheap. It says 10 day eval on their site. You may need to wipe you iPAQ to see if a restore works, but it would be worth it. MAke sure you sync before trying the hard reset and restore.

Good luck. Post with your success (or failure :( )