View Full Version : How Choose Which to Use - - Notes or Pocket Word?

Lex
01-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Notes or Pocket Word; How do you decide when to use which? For no strong reason I usually fire up the built-in Notes app to make a phone call note or some other quick note, and use Pocket Word for meeting notes or for more formal writing or things I might need to format. I noted they save documents at almost the same kb size. A 98kb PWord doc took up 97kb in Notes. (I only use text entry, not freehand writing/drawing.) I don't really sense a need for PhatNotes.

Goomba
01-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Honestly, I think they're both the same in terms of basic functionality. But when typing notes from a lecture, I like to use Pocket Word because of the spell check feature. I am looking for another Word Processor that might allow the input of exponents though.

baker
01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
I'll use PocketWord mainly because my work laptop doesn't have Outlook. If it's something to be done quick and I will not want to print, I'll use Notes.

Kowalski
01-30-2005, 10:59 AM
i never use pocketword, because i take almost all of my notes as freehand drawing. plus there are some good tools like notes explorer to manege the notes, but pocketword only has the built in explorer and as far as i know there are no alternatives

Lex
01-30-2005, 01:58 PM
i never use pocketword, because i take almost all of my notes as freehand drawing... Kowalski, haven't you ever had the problem with a long handwritten note that the text scrambles when you have to scroll back up? That OS bug (verified by smarter people than me) which persists at least up through WM2003 is why I am unable to use freehand writing/drawing of more than one screen's worth. Wish I could ! Then there's the problem of needing to cut and paste words into other apps sometimes. Can do with text, can't do with freehand?

Goomba
01-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Lex, if you write neat enough free hand, there is a feature on pocket word called Recognize the will convert your handwritten notes into text format. Maybe you could use the Recognize feature after ever screen to avoid having your writing scrambled.

Lex
01-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks Goomba. That's a function of Transcriber. It's proven buggy and slow for me. I hadn't tested it on my new iPAQ 2215 and it just took 15 seconds to enter text after I wrote a 5 letter word in clear block letters on the screen. I've had to settle on Letter Recognizer for speed and accuracy sake. Thanks again.

Goomba
01-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Are you sure you were using tools -> Recognize? You shouldn't use the transcriber, just plain writing with the stylus, and when you hit recognize it will recognize it instantly.

Kowalski
01-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Kowalski, haven't you ever had the problem with a long handwritten note that the text scrambles when you have to scroll back up
i havent experienced any problem about that. do you have the problem you mentioned about notes, or is this a problem you just heard people complaining about.

BTW i never managed to work with recognize feature, so never use it. you have to write very carefully, and this is the reason why i am not using letter recognizer or something like that

Lex
01-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Kowalski I have experienced the writing scramble problem on a PPC2002 and now a WM2003 unit. It's existence has been verified by the developers of both Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant. If I (and others) have to draw or write freehand words longer than one screen's worth, upon scroll up the text usually scrambles/jumbles and may no longer be readable. It happens about 95% of the time on scroll up. Software developers often say to make sure the default systemwide zoom size is 100% but that has no effect on the bug.

ppcinfo
01-30-2005, 04:03 PM
I primarily use PocketWord for all my note taking because it's easier to read and edit the docs on my Desktop PC. I can also make subfolders in my "My Documents" folder on my PPC device and organize my docs better (It's harder to use subfolders with the standard Notes app and still edit them with MS-Outlook on the Desktop PC).

You can also create hand-drawings in PocketWord as RichInk text.

ppcinfo

Dave Beauvais
01-30-2005, 06:48 PM
... haven't you ever had the problem with a long handwritten note that the text scrambles when you have to scroll back up?
I did have that problem with PPC2002 but don't recall experiencing it after I upgraded my h5455 to WM2003. Then I started using PhatPad (http://www.phatware.com/phatpad/index.html) and haven't given Notes another look since. :)