View Full Version : Current transflective screens under the sun...how good?

Prevost
01-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Are current transflective screens under the sun improved, or they keep being awful?

I never saw a transflective screen under the sun...until today. It was a Zire 72 screen. Simply impossible to use.

But, since it is not the newest one, I keep wondering. It's a matter that makes me worry.

Menneisyys
01-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Are current transflective screens under the sun improved, or they keep being awful?

I never saw a transflective screen under the sun...until today. It was a Zire 72 screen. Simply impossible to use.

But, since it is not the newest one, I keep wondering. It's a matter that makes me worry.

Previous-generation transflective PPC's (like the 2210) were as bad as the Zire 71/72. IMHO, the latest-generation PPC's are a bit better: I could swear my PL 720 (which has exactly the same screen as the iPAQ hx4700, except foir the dpi resolution) is clearly better visible in direct sunlight than my 2210.

BTW, I don't think the Zire 71/72 is THAT bad in direct sunlight. I has been able to use my Zire71 in sunlight too, unlike my transmissive / STN screen devices (Casio E-125, Jornada 680 etc.).

Prevost
01-29-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't think the Zire 71/72 is THAT bad in direct sunlight. I has been able to use my Zire71 in sunlight too, unlike my transmissive / STN screen devices (Casio E-125, Jornada 680 etc.).
Well, I guess the sun at Finland is NOT the same thing as in the tropics... :mrgreen:

Menneisyys
01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't think the Zire 71/72 is THAT bad in direct sunlight. I has been able to use my Zire71 in sunlight too, unlike my transmissive / STN screen devices (Casio E-125, Jornada 680 etc.).
Well, I guess the sun at Finland is NOT the same thing as in the tropics... :mrgreen:

Well, I also mean 'outdoors' by 'sunlight' - STN/transmissive devices are completely useless under even cloudy, but bright circumstances too. I've never been able to use my j680 / E-125 in situations llike tgis; however, my Zire 71 fared much better under exactly the same weather conditions (I was able to make out what was on the screen, even if the colors were completely washed out). Same stands for the sunshine.

Prevost
01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh, well, anyway I suppose those still cannot compete against the old reflective screens concerning sunlight readability.

I guess I'll need to stick to my reflective device. It is really helping me to work faster in the sunlight, but if I go to a screen that is difficult to read under the sun, it probably will make my work harder actually.

Menneisyys
01-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Oh, well, anyway I suppose those still cannot compete against the old reflective screens concerning sunlight readability.

That's right: my reflective, 3.5-year-old iPAQ 3660 has still much better readability outdoors than my hi-end Pocket Loox 720. Still, transflective screens' outdoor readability seems to be getting better and better each year - the 19-month-old 2210 had definitely worse readability, and STN/transmissive screens before that had no outdoors readability at all.

applejosh
01-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I think part of it depends on the screen manufacturer, too. I have a T3 (non-Sony screen), and the thing is practically useless outdoors except under heavy cloud cover. My H3955 (not sure about the screen type) was fantastic just about everywhere. My NX80 was great, too. I have yet to venture outside with my rx3715 in use (it's too cold here), but it probably will be similar to my H3955. So, in summary, my Palm screen sucks, even though it's supposedly transreflective and up-to-date and whatnot. My older Clie's and iPAQ have better screens.

disconnected
01-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Screen protectors can make quite a difference. When I first got my iPAQ 4700 I put on a crystal clear protector from Boxwave. It was incredibly beautiful indoors, but hopeless outdoors. I switched to their anti-glare type, and there is a tremendous improvement. It's not so incredible inside (but still perfectly fine), and now I can use it with GPS in the daylight, although direct sunlight is still pretty impossible. The only tradeoff is that I now feel I have to turn the backlight higher, which affects battery life.

Prevost
01-29-2005, 08:03 PM
It's funny...with reflectives you actually got to aim the screen INTO sunrays to make them perform their best...for my working environment, a nice thing!