View Full Version : ActiveSync reverts to Guest (when a Partnership exists)

dbrackett27
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
There are several other posts about this in recent months (in different Forums) but I don't see a solution???

This started happening for me last week...as soon as I connect to ActiveSync, it reverts to Guest mode when I have a partnership established (that worked fine for months). Everything is greyed out - I have no options other than to disconnect, delete the partnership, re-connect, and establish a new partnership. It works fine then, until I disconnect and come back the next day. Then it's back to square one.

I have installed ActiveSync 3.8 but it did not fix it - still doing the same thing.

Anyone have a solution?

Steven Cedrone
01-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Did you try a soft reset when it happened?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-28-2005, 07:08 PM
This happened to me long time ago and I think it was prolly I deleted some empty-and-appeared-useless folders in \Windows. Ever since that, I cannot sync using existing partnership and always in guest mode. The only way to solve it (at least for me) is to hard reset and never touch any empty-and-appeared-useless folders in \Windows

dbrackett27
01-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I have done soft resets but not a hard reset - I was saving that as a last alternative 'shot in the dark'.

Jason Dunn
01-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Give this a read:

http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/t-shootactivesync-old.htm#Guest%20Issues

dbrackett27
01-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks - but this link is about issues when you are wanting to connect as a Guest. I do not want to connect as a Guest - I have a partnership established but it is ignoring it and reverting to Guest. Actually, when I connect it briefly flashes the partnership name in the upper left 'white space' of ActiveSync, then reverts to "Guest". It's like it wants to recognize it but then doesn't.

Jason Dunn
01-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Item #2 on the link I gave you is a fix that sometimes works when you're always connecting as a guest and you don't want to be. Give it a try.

facteury
09-18-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm having my own version of this nightmare... My iPaq 1910 is stuck in guest mode and nothing seems to allow it to connect again.

And I tried just about everything.

-- Tried soft reset.

-- Tried hard reset, then restore the data from a backup, then doing a new partnership. Once the partnership is formed, the ipaq gets synchronized. But as soon as I disconnect and reconnect, it switches back to guest mode.

-- Tried changing the name of the device then creating a new partnership. Same result as above.

-- Tried uninstalling ActiveSync, deleting the sync folder, then reinstalling. Same result as above: ok for the first sync after new partnership, then reverts back to guest :cry:

-- Tried resetting the DLLs as per the suggestion on this thread. No result.

So what's left? Uninstall ActiveSync, hard reset my ipaq, then reinstall all the software one by one.

Unless you have another idea?

Thanks for your input.

Yan

facteury
09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I really need help with this one. Help!

I tried everything mentioned in last post, and also:

-- tried hard reset of device, uninstall of activesync and deletion of the synchronized files folder. Did not do anything after hard resetting the device except to reinstall Activesync on desktop and try to re-establish partnership. And that failed also. After the partnership is established, next time I disconnect and reconnect the iPaq it reverts back to guest mode.

Then ONLY option that seems to remain is to reformat my desktop PC and reinstall everything, revert to a 3-week old image of my hard drive, taken before this problem began -- BUT I don't want to do that!

And since I have no clue as to what happened (I have been syncing this same iPaq with my computer for over 2 years without problem), what tells me the problem will not start again after resetting my PC? :(

Help!

Jason Dunn
09-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Have you tried uninstalling AS 3.8 and installing AS 4.0?

facteury
09-22-2005, 10:46 PM
You instilled some hope in me...

But no, uninstalling AS 3.8 and installing AS 4 did not solve the problem. Same thing happen. Even if I try to set up a partnership with the iPaq just after a hard reset.

So there must be something wrong on my PC...

Really frustrating.