View Full Version : C|NET Motorola MPx Video

Jason Dunn
01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/1606-2-5470192.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/1606-2-5470192.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Motorola MPX is a true business phone for the overachiever. It offers a dual-hinged display, QUERTY keyboard, Windows Mobile, GMS and GPRS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and a 1.2 megapixel camera. CNET Editor in Chief Patrick Houston and Motorola's Monica Rohleder take a look."</i><br /><br />C|NET has one of the longer MPx videos I've seen, and the reporter asks the question "Where is it coming out?". The answer was a rather non-comittal, "Very soon now." We've been hearing that for a very long time - I wonder when Motorola will finally pull the trigger? Maybe they're delaying the launch to re-configure it with 64 MB of RAM because they read this site. :lol:

freitasm
01-31-2005, 08:03 PM
When I showed the Motorola MPx in our Windows Mobile User Group meeting last Nov'04, I was told by my contact at Vodafone that April 05 would be the launch date for both the MPx and the MPx220 here in New Zealand, and that's what I passed on to the users present there.

cgavula
01-31-2005, 08:09 PM
I sure hope they reconfigure it with 64MB of RAM (at minimum) because as it's been currently discussed it's anything BUT an overachiever.

Great form - lousy execution.

--Chris

webdaemon
01-31-2005, 08:25 PM
That phone is really nice. I don't think it's for me though. The small screen, after I've become used to my PDA's large screen would be a problem for me. Other than the screen size and the RAM though, it looks really cool.

Although, if it has a "QUERTY" keyboard, I see a lot of typos in people's future... ;)

Evee Ev
01-31-2005, 09:35 PM
It looks great! The question is did the Monica really know how to use it!? She was fumbling around with the inbox and didn't type a single word!!!

c'mon Monica...show the world you know how to use the thing!!!

bdegroodt
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Aside from the dual-hinged bit, this phone looks to be DOA. I love the half inch high hinge you have to get your right thumb over to type on it 8O Plus, not sure if anyone else caught this, but the reporter tells her that phones like this are historically hard to type on and asks her to type on it--cut from reporter to Monica using stylus. Nice. It's too bulky, looks unusable in comparison to alternatives and I'll be you Moto attempts to charge one arm, plus one leg for it. Flop.

powder2000
01-31-2005, 10:02 PM
If any manufacturer had a clue, they would definitely read ppcthoughts daily! I don't want to sound to optimistic though, so nevermind. :roll:

Anjuan Simmons
01-31-2005, 10:15 PM
I have to admit that I drooled over the MPx when information about it started coming out many months ago. Then delay after delay caused me to realize that I couldn't realistically look forward to ever getting one. Now I have my Audiovox PPC-6601 which is a thousand times better than the MPx is every way (memory, keyboard, CPU, etc.). Although the PPC-6601 was expensive, I'm sure the MPx will be even more costly. Motorola should shotgun this product because it's terribly obsolete.

gtmtnbiker98
01-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Is it a full-blown Windows Mobile OS or the phone edition?

Vincent M Ferrari
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Full PPC, not Smartphone.

It was a cool device when it was leaked ages ago.

Pdaholic
02-01-2005, 03:37 AM
I hope this device doesn't spoil the future for other clam-shaped and keyboard-based devices. I am a keyboard fan and won't go back to not having one. The clam shape provides great built-in screen protection, and that's the main reason I continue to use my UX50 over my HP 4355. The motorola has weak specs, and it looks hard to use with the hinge getting in the way. I won't consider it.

And what was with the chick trying to thumb-type with her index fingers? They should at least let the sales people play with their products before trying to push them.

galt
02-01-2005, 05:43 AM
I hope this device doesn't spoil the future for other clam-shaped and keyboard-based devices. I am a keyboard fan and won't go back to not having one. The clam shape provides great built-in screen protection, and that's the main reason I continue to use my UX50 over my HP 4355. The motorola has weak specs, and it looks hard to use with the hinge getting in the way. I won't consider it.

And what was with the chick trying to thumb-type with her index fingers? They should at least let the sales people play with their products before trying to push them.

Ditto, I'm also a fan of keyboard integrated devices, I hope the inevitable flop of the MPx doesn't scare off other device manufacturers.

scoopster
02-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I have used several iterations of this phone and have found none of them to even approach satisfactory. Firstly, this thing is seriously large. Waaay larger than any clamshell phone except a Nokia 9000 series. It gets much thicker when you use the double-sized extended battery, which in practice is totally necessary if you hope to utilitize all the capabilities this device can offer.

Yes, the hinge is in the way, but that could be tolerated if they keyboard was even half decent to type on. I personally don't like the Blue Angel keyboard, but it's a joy compared to the MPx.

The features are all there...but it's so big and the user experience (ignoring the size) is so mediocre at best that I personally wouldn't spend even $300 for this phone. If you want a Pocket PC phone, go for the Blue Angel / Harrier device.....at least it's slim enough to fit in your pocket and all the features are decently accessible/usable.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 08:44 AM
I would say forget the MPx and Moto for the time being. Let us see what happens when the new MS Mobile OS comes out.

Phoenix
02-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I was reading Howard Forums and came across a post by a member over there by the name of Bengalboy. I thought what he said was interesting. I'll just quote what he said...

"I don't define the device by what kind of user owns it....that would be far to subjective and would really never give anyone a true idea of its performance. I suppose that there are people in the world who don't mind paying premium dollars for mediocre performance....if that's the case, it doesn't really matter what the facts are, those people are buying on impulse and emotion....(I like the way it looks and performance is secondary..)

I have tried to give the facts on the device...its slow, unstable at times, can't even install a GPS program, and forget about multitasking memory intensive programs. I've been using one since July of last year, have had access to most of the ROM upgrades and with the exception of the ability to "Voice Dial from a Bluetooth Headset" there has only been slight improvement in voice quality and basic phone and bluetooth stability...

I personally think the device is "Perfect for" and "Marketed to" the uninitiated and uninformed... People who really know Pocket PC wouldn't want to use the device for any length of time. People who don't know Pocket PC will be very impressed with the form factor and have no idea that the performance is so horrible. They have no experience and baseline to compare it to....so they will just accept that this is the way Pocket PC devices perform. All I see from people who've bought it is how they want to upgrade the memory and overclock the processor.....yet they paid $900+ for it. Trying to justify your purchase because your a "Casual" or "Non-Power" user is just a psychological tool for rationalizing your big money purchase with your dissatisfaction in performance.

Any person who enjoys missed calls, crashes, inability to run or even install powerful Pocket PC programs, and the lack of "Bleeding Edge" hardware in the currently MOST EXPENSIVE POCKET PC AVAILABLE is a Masochist and should be very happy with their MPx.

For $450 I sold my iMate Pocket PC which has far superior performance, stability, phone quality and battery life....in a model that was first brought to market almost a year and a half ago. Personally, I hope that Motorola sells a few million units of these...would do my portfolio good... But in about 3-4 months, you will see more MPx's on eBay for sale than used JuiceMans.... "

RobertoLV_
02-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I did another Videos from Motorola MPX, look it:

Enjoy!

Like DVD Player:
http://www.otherwise-music.com/MPX300/MPX-DVD.wmv

Like TV (Live TV!!, just 10 seconds delay)
http://www.otherwise-music.com/MPX300/MPX-TV3.wmv

Computer Remote Control
www.otherwise-music.com/MPX300/MPX-Remoto.wmv

Bluetooth
http://www.otherwise-music.com/MPX300/MPX-BlueTooth.wmv

Internet WiFi
http://www.otherwise-music.com/MPX300/MPX-Internet.wmv

ĦĦSalud!!-2

DaleReeck
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
While the MPX has many flaws, size is not one of them. It has to be as big as it is (and really, its really not that big. If it were any smaller, it would be unusable as a PDA.

Vincent M Ferrari
02-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Actually, it's very much a flaw. Now if you want to say it's less of a flaw than it is with other devices, that's different, but it's definitely big, uncomfortable, and the stupid hinge on the right side of the "keyboard" makes thumb typing seriously uncomfortable.

duane.thomas
02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
It seems to me the critics here denouncing the MPx have NEVER even seen one first hand, much less held/used one for more than a minute or two. It would be nice if this forum didn't turn into CNET's, "Well it looks like it's not good and therefor it's horrible!"

Opinions are always welcomed and drive people's interest, but should this be a "witch hunt". Facts and, preferrably, some hands on feedback is great.

I was and still am looking forward to the device. It does look a bit crippled on paper compared to other PPCPE competition. I hope that time helps it mature before release. But until I can hold one in my hands and use it (Hopefully Cingular-30day trial), I can't pass judgment.

0.02 cents

Vincent M Ferrari
02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
It seems to me the critics here denouncing the MPx have NEVER even seen one first hand, much less held/used one for more than a minute or two. It would be nice if this forum didn't turn into CNET's, "Well it looks like it's not good and therefor it's horrible!"

I had one in my hands at the CES show last month.

Thanks for playing.

Jason Lee
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM

I had one in my hands at the CES show last month.

Thanks for playing.

I think he covered playing with one at CES with "...much less held/used one for more than a minute or two."

As some one touched on earlier, I think we are missing the target market for this device. It is ment to be more phone than ppc. It is supposed to be the uber smartphone. Which it is. But it's one crappy pocket pc. ;)

The user this device it targeted at will not install any applications. They won't need the ram. This device is for people that have never owned a pocket pc. However the cool form factor make it very appealing to us pocket pc power useres.

I dunno it this is a bad marketing idea or not. IF those symbian smartphone users that don't even realize they have a smart phone all upgrade to the mpx and all those gadget loving, technically inept business men fall in love with this really cool device, they may have a hit on their hands. But it kinda seems like a really big gamble to me. They are targeting a way bigger market than us pocket pc power users but what if it doesn't catch on?

Many things could happen:

1. It might bomb and moto will listen to our feed back and make a better version.

2. It might bomb and no one will ever give this cool form factor a second thought because "marketing" proved that people don't want it. :evil:

3. It's a hit and they never offer a better version because they are making a killing on the uneducated users. :evil:

4. It's a hit and they choose to expand the line and release a high powered model for us. :)

64 mb of ram was not enough for me. I finally got 128 and will never own a pocket pc with less ram. I woudl die with only 32 mb. However if this device were cheep enough i might consider getting it instead of an mpx 220 to go along with a new high end pocket pc (ie hp 4700 or dell x50v). This device is really bluring the line between pocket pc and smart phone, which is exactly what MS is doing. One OS from now on. I think we will start seeing more devices like this, especially if this one catches on.

But for me I will not get one. I well stick with my siemens sx66 and see what comes out this christmas or next year with the new windows mobile 2005 os. Maybe then I will switch back to a two device model. Or maybe there will finally be a high powered pocket pc phone... :roll:

Vincent M Ferrari
02-01-2005, 11:45 PM
I think he covered playing with one at CES with "...much less held/used one for more than a minute or two."

Actually, I just wasn't all that impressed with it, and it was very difficult to type with and had an average screen. I really don't know how much longer than five minutes you need to hold it to ascertain that it's a dud.

I'm sure if I held onto it for 45 minutes, I probably still wouldn't be all that impressed. As dismissive as I am about it, I was that much more impressed with the Benq P50 and the Samsung i730, and the OQO (wow!!!!!). The problems I have with it are pretty obvious ones that don't take a long time to decide on (keyboard sucks, display is average, and the phone is just flat out big).

Everything else may be great, but every single one of them coupled with 32 megs of RAM = something I'd rather look at than own.

bdegroodt
02-02-2005, 12:38 AM
As some one touched on earlier, I think we are missing the target market for this device. It is ment to be more phone than ppc. It is supposed to be the uber smartphone. Which it is. But it's one crappy pocket pc. ;)
That's odd because the rep in the video tells us it's for users with heavy data needs. Which is it?

Vincent M Ferrari
02-02-2005, 01:56 AM
My Motorola rep has repeatedly told me that I'm going to love this device every time he comes to my office. He swears it's great for someone like me who uses more data than voice on his line.

I frankly just don't see it.

Someone who uses heavy amounts of data on their device is going to be very turned off by the weak specs and high price. Someone who wants some PDA functionality is going to be turned off by the insane price tag we've seen so far for this low-powered smartphone.

In other words, it's a niche device without a niche to fit into and that's not a good sign in a crowded and choice-filled market.

Phoenix
02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Motorola just doesn't understand what they're building. Any company that builds a convergence device cannot build it with PPC functionality and then say it's meant to be more phone than PPC. That wouldn't make any sense. If a company is going to go the convergence route, they better be prepared to go all the way with it, or just forget about it altogether. A lot of the specs seem to cater more to the phone side of things than to the PPC side of things, which is the wrong way to make a device like the MPx - it needs to be the other way around. Adding PPC capability into a device cannot be done half-baked. It's all or nothing. If they don't follow this line of thinking, then they don't understand what they're building. If they did, they never would have given it such weak specs in the first place.

This device will lag when receiving calls. By the time you hear the ringer and go to answer your phone, often times it will be too late as it will send the call into voicemail. In other words, the ringer takes a while to sound after the phone has initially received a call. This is thanks to the sluggish processor they have in the MPx. It cannot multitask properly. And with a grand total of only around 22MB RAM available to the end user, this phone is doomed.

I can't see anyone buying this phone only to make a few calls, play a little solitaire, write a few messages, and a few notes here and there. That would be like lighting a candle with a blowtorch. Overkill.

This device is for someone who is searching for all of the technologies that it has, and will make full use of them, providing it has the proper muscle to perform the tasks that every PPC should, such as GPS pairing, watching movies and playing MP3s, and heavier multitasking with wireless and so on. This device is not for the average joe. Moto added feature after feature to the MPx, which naturally caters to what a power user seeks. But unfortunately it can't adequately serve even that crowd as it doesn't have the proper horsepower to run everything like it needs to. A company cannot make a device with all of these features and then not put in a strong enough engine and memory to make it all come together and work properly, otherwise, it will just crumble under the weight of those features. This, then, is pointless. Of course, some people with too much cash and too little knowledge will buy it, but no one is going to slap down a grand for this thing without having some pretty heavy needs and expectations. And once again, this phone simply won't meet those needs.

This device will not succeed. Everyone knows that it cannot do what it needs to do. How many people will spend $1000 for something that won't work well before it starts to develop a bad reputation? It already has, but this will only worsen over time. There'll always be suckers out there, but unless Moto changes the specs, time will prove the MPx doesn't stand a chance.