View Full Version : Slooooo jam

Mark Somerstein
01-26-2005, 08:04 PM
I have had an imate jam for a few days now and, while the form factor is great, its performance is very disappointing. I am trying to determine whether there may be some bad or incompatable software I am loading because the device is so slow. I generally see the screen redrawing while loading applications (particularly the inbox application) and need to do numerous soft resets. I never did so many resets with any other device. My mda II is DRAMATICALLY faster than the jam. Does anyone know of problems with Battery Pack Pro or with Pocket Breeze? I am going to get the internal ram pushed to 128 and hope that helps, but I am skeptical.

Also, activesynch is unbearably slow with the jam. I needed to use the check notifications application to delete duplicates to even make an AS connection. One thing that I noticed is that each time I connect the device, it checks for mail on all of my mail accounts before synching the device. I don't want the device to check for new mail unless I ask it to or if I have a timed e-mail fetch set. Since I have not checked the box to automatically check e-mail, I am wonddering why activesynch is forcing this check of mail on every synch.

yanathin
01-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I have the JAM and it actually seems faster than the Axim X50v to me... I'm running the newest PocketBreeze and SPB Pocket Plus 2.2, but not Battery Pack Pro. You may want to try using SPBPP instead of that, because I heard that program can cause problems on some devices. Also, since there isn't much RAM available, try installing as much as you possibly can (except for today plug-ins or startup programs) on a storage card. When your RAM gets low, it really slows down. I try to adjust the storage and RAM slider so that I always have at least 20mb on the Program side. One more thing... completely closing applications make it take a bit longer to open them back up again - I guess that's why without the use of another program, WM just minimizes them. Try going into the "close button" features of Battery Pack or SPBPP and add tmail.exe (your email) and anything else you open and close a lot to the exceptions list. It takes up a little more RAM while they're running in the background, but opening the programs is instant.

Hope any of this helps.. It took me a couple days to find the right solution for program management on my JAM, but when you get it down, it's fast. I'd even say it's faster than my iPAQ 4155 I had a while back.

Mark Somerstein
01-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for these suggestions.

Matt Kitchen
01-27-2005, 05:04 AM
I haven't had much time to load any 3rd party apps on my JAM yet (considering i'm now testing the MPx220) but i have never noticed a slow down. Only when loading the camera has my device ever lagged (and understandably so). To be honest the first thing i used to always do w/ my Pocket PC's was install Wisbar or some other app that would actually close an application rather than just multitask it - but i'm not even running one of those - so i just about always have 3 or so apps running at the same time - messages, contacts, and calendar.

I wonder if its software or if you just have a defective unit - you might want to consider getting it serviced or exchanged before you upgrade the RAM and void the warranty...

Mark Somerstein
01-27-2005, 07:44 PM
I am going to tinker a few more days before I send it for the upgrade. I must say that I followed the advice in the prior post (all apps except pocket breeze and spb pocket plus to sd card and keep program memory over 20 megs) and the device is fairly snappy and seems fine. I will try it for a few more days. I think that the 20 megs of proogram memory may be the key.

okanrua
01-28-2005, 08:25 AM
i have a jam too and definately it is not slower than my ex ipaq 2210.

Chris Spera
01-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Your problem is the Today plug-ins... try disabling them and then introducing them back one at a time until you see things bog back down. When you identify the culprit(s), e-mail the developers and let them know they may have a memory leak they need to patch; or at least some performance issues they need to address...

MitchellO
02-19-2005, 01:41 PM
I have the XDA Mini (same thing as the jam) and have found it to be quite fast (faster than my 400Mhz 4355). I had trouble with the SPB Pocket Plus on the today screen, so I took it off. Otherwise, I have had no problems.

AprilRyan
03-28-2005, 06:43 AM
i have the xda mini with the spb pocket plus 2.5. no problems so far. had pocketbreeze installed for a day or so, also no problems.

burnso
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Battery Pack Pro slowed my Jam down considerably. I got so frustrated I took it off in the end, and that was the latest version straight off their website.