View Full Version : Setup activesync to reuse device names

isilver
01-26-2005, 05:38 AM
I am tired of always having to specify a new name for activesync. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to wipe the slate clean of all devices so I can start using some of my original PocketPC names.

JPD6825
01-26-2005, 06:01 AM
My experience with Activesync in WM2003 is that the device name actually turns out to be a non-issue. For instance, after a hard reset... I want to keep my device name... how to restore files from the sync folder? Before connecting the PPC, start Activesync... select the device (i.e. File... Mobile Device... choose device ) then File... Delete Partnership... you will be asked to confirm the Delete... say yes... then you will be asked if you want to keep the sync folder -- Choose to save the sync folder.

Then sync... create a new partnership... if you have used the same device name as before... you pick up the sync folder right where you left off.

If you want to rename your PPC to a name used previously, I think it is no issue -- you can delete the old partnership - and create a new one. IF you have an old sync folder associated with the old name you may want to remove the items from that folder before the first sync or choose to delete it on deleting the partnership.

If you're not so sure you can trust this... just make a backup copy of the things in your sync folder before trying it - good practice anyway for such a task.

ctmagnus
01-26-2005, 06:35 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

Remember that folder! That's where all device profile info is stored. Whenever I delete a partnership in ActiveSync, I always check to make sure that the correspending folder under the aforementioned one is deleted and if not, I do so myself.