View Full Version : Synchronizing Tasks

JimPAQ
01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
I have this annoying little issue with my tasks. It’s not a really big deal, but it just bothers me every time it happens. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

I use tasks a lot at work, so I’m constantly creating and completing tasks throughout the day. I have ActiveSync set to always synchronize with my PDA when it’s cradled so that I can look at and work on tasks while I’m in meetings and such. When I create tasks on my desktop or PDA they synchronize fine. But when I complete tasks on my desktop by clicking the completed checkbox, it doesn’t synchronize across to my PDA. In fact, it will never synchronize the change across to my PDA even if I un-cradle and re-cradle the PDA. What ends up happening is about once every few days I have to set and compare the tasks on my PDA with the ones on my desktop and check off the completed ones on my PDA. Then, the next time I cradle my PDA it will give me conflicts on the task synchronization in ActiveSync. Then I have to tell it to use the PDA version and every thing is synchronized again. Until I complete another task on my desktop.

Up to this point, my workaround has been to always complete the task (check the box) on my PDA. Since I’m suing Pocket Breeze this isn’t a big deal, because the task is listed right on the today screen. But it’s still annoying that I can’t do it on my desktop and when I forget and accidentally complete one on my desktop I have to go start searching for it on my PDA and well… it’s just annoying.

So, the question is, is any one else having this problem? If so, how have you fixed it? If not, do you have any suggestions that might fix it?

Thanks,
-Jim

Deemo
01-25-2005, 11:22 PM
What are the synch setting for your Tasks?

JimPAQ
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
OK, that was embarrassing. I don't know why but I had it set to not synchronize completed tasks. I must have changed it at some point.

Thanks
-Jim

Deemo
01-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Well ....at least you're man enuff to admit it instead of just letting the thread fffffffffaaaaaade away :wink:

ctmagnus
01-26-2005, 01:22 AM
fwiw, the default is to synchronize only incomplete tasks. I've never had any issues with this setting: I can check a task off on either end and it syncs automatically to the other end the next time I sync.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Actually, for whatever reason, it works the same way for me as it does for JimPAQ.

Not to go off on a tangent, but isn't it amazing how weird it is that even the same exact setting performs differently across multiple users?

Damn it's frustrating.

ctmagnus
01-26-2005, 02:10 AM
Or there are the instances where you do something the exact same way thousands of times over and get the same result. Then you do it again and get a different result. Something about some guy named Murphy...

But anyway, what I would do is, when you get a half hour or so free, make sure everything is synchronized and delete the partnership on the desktop, recradle and recreate the partnership. That's fixed it for me the few times I've had similar issues.

JimPAQ
01-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Ctmagnus,

Are you saying that your ActiveSync is set to not synchronize completed tasks, and yet it removes the completed tasks from your PDA when you complete them on your desktop? That’s what I was doing and it wouldn’t remove them from my PDA. But if I completed them on my PDA it would work.

Strange… very strange.

-Jim

ctmagnus
01-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Pretty much.

Here's a screeny of my settings (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/3482/AStasksettings.gif) if I was less than clear before.

onesix18
01-28-2005, 06:12 AM
the only way i've ever been able to get tasks to sync properly has been to select "sync all tasks" on the options page...