View Full Version : HP BT Keyboard Problem

jimski
01-25-2005, 08:26 AM
The first few times I used my HP Bluetooth Keyboard, after two minutes of inactivity (my current backlight setting) the backlight on my hx4705 would turn off but my application (Pocket Word, Journal Pro, etc) would stay alive in the background and Bluetooth would stay active. As soon as I touched any key on the keyboard my hx4705's screen woke up and typing picked up where I left off. I left the keyboard idle for a full 15 minute test just to make sure and the 4705 waited for me to tap a key to activate the backlight again.

Then I tried installing the Think Outside Bluetooth Mouse. In their infinite wisdom :roll: TO has now decided to bundle the Bluetooth keyboard & Mouse Drivers together. Can't get one without the other. Well I loaded the driver(s) and did get the mouse to work, but found that it disabled the HP Bluetooth Keyboard. When I got the HP BT Keyboard working again, the mouse was disabled. I contacted Think Outside and they sent me a set of instructions as some sort of workaround, but I had already gotten tired of fighting what I presumed would be a losing battle and removed the Think Outside drivers.

Now when I try to use my HP BT Keyboard, my backlight will go dim after two minutes, but my whole device will shut down 8O after three minutes of inactivity (a normal occurance when not using the keyboard). The HP BT Keyboard will no longer keep the BT connection open to the 4705. This means that if I am not paying attention, I have to reassociate the keyboard with the device each time it shuts down. This is very frustrating and embarassing when people are expecting you to take metting minutes with your "high tech" Bluetooth enabled device.

I assume the Think Outside Bluetooth drivers left something behind after I uninstalled them and this has crippled my HP BT Keyboard, but I am not sure. I now notice that I have "Connect to a keyboard" in my Bluetooth Connection Wizard screen. I don't think that was there before. I have tried connecting the HP BT Keyboard using this and it does nothing. I have uninstalled/installed the HP BT Keyboard drivers several times, but the result is the same.

Aside from a hard reset and starting over is there anything I can try to get the HP BT Keyboard functionality back to its original state.

bmurphy
01-25-2005, 10:02 AM
This is very interesting. I have had the same problem with the Dell Axim x50v & BT keyboard (which is ThinkOutside). Now I can't even get the keyboard to work. (it is going back, and the unit is being replaced, but I think that there is a BT issue going on here.) I don't have a solution at all, and I have done 2 hard resets and 10 and counting soft resets. I've removed the drivers, updated the driver... etc. nothing works.