View Full Version : Who is using Tomtom (or another map software) without GPS?

MROX
01-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi,
I wasn't sure where to put that thread, but since it`s NO-gps and it`s software only...

So my question is does anyone use Tomtom software without GPS?
I'm asking about Tomtom because it's one of the very few who give also a good Canadian map coverage.
The other one is Alk but it`s way too expensive(250$). (Even Tomtom is over my budjet, but if I no choice...)

Am I totaly out of the loop to ask something like that???
I was simply hoping to find something simple like Microsoft Street&Trips for my PPC for 50 or 100$ max.
Street&Trips for desktop cost about 45$ and got a very good North America map coverage.

One part of the problem is that many software are unsing Navtech database and they cover only the major major city in Canada.

I'm getting exosted. After 2 week of research, it's seem I can't find what I'm looking for. I think if some of you guys and girls tell me that it's worth the price and there is no other real solutions, I will buy it.

surur
01-24-2005, 12:25 PM
If you are willing to pay, why not get a wired GPS. They can be quite cheap, and will make any software you use much more useful. You can use a GPS reciever without expensive mapping software, by scanning paper maps and using free (or very cheap) software to superimpose your position. I dont really see much benifit (and many disadvantages) to using an electronic map without GPS vs a paper map.

Surur

mattp
01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
You might want to try Mapopolis:

http://www.mapopolis.com/download.jsp?s=1106573085031907&p=&q=6

You can purchase their North American maps without GPS support for $35. Speaking from experience, their program is excellent for generating door-to-door directions even when not using GPS.

Their program is free, and you pay for the maps. Mapopolis allows you to download demo maps to use with the program, so you can test it out before you buy. It certainly can't hurt to test it out for free, so I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Mapopolis does use Navteq data.

mattp
01-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Also, while re-reading your post, it appears to me that S&T is sufficient to meet your needs. If this is so, I don't understand why you don't just use S&T. I don't think it provides routing and all like TomTom would do, but you didn't indicate that as a requirement.

I don't think I'd spend $150+ on something like TomTom unless I was going to use GPS, but that's me speaking. If you are going to spend that much, you might as well spend the additional $ to purchase a GPS receiver like Surur suggests.

Sven Johannsen
01-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi,
I'm asking about Tomtom because it's one of the very few who give also a good Canadian map coverage.

I guess the real requirement for the OP is good Canadian coverage. Do you mean that there are actually more cities in Canada than are shown in S&T? ;)

I think most all mapping programs are usable without a GPS. They still find locations and plan routes. Mapopolis will even read the route directions if you step through them using the buttons.

I can't say much about Canadian coverage though. If that is indeed your issue/need, hopefully folks will pick up on that, and suggest programs with good Great White North coverage.

MROX
01-25-2005, 02:21 AM
If you are willing to pay, why not get a wired GPS....
by scanning paper maps and using free (or very cheap) software to superimpose your position...

As I said, I was hoping not to spend over 100$ If I have no choice, maybe a little more for a complet set of good map. But if you put a GPS on it, it's getting another step further. And I really don't feel playing with a scanner for every new destination.

Mapopolis does use Navteq data..
As you say... And they don't cover any province close to the Canadian Atlantic (New Found Land, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island...) And I like to go camping and sea kayaking... And what is the point of having a map software who does cover where you go!
And yes S&T meet all my needs but one... IT"S A DESKTOP SOFTWARE NOT A PPC!!! :bawl: (Street Pocket don't do the job).

Do you mean that there are actually more cities in Canada than are shown in S&T?
No no no. It would be just perfect...on my PPC.

If only Navtech could cover all Canada, I know at least 2 or 3 more software who could do the job.

Hey, thank for trying guys!

nategesner
01-27-2005, 07:16 PM
MRROX, I'm confused by your last post. Streets and Trips comes with a desktop AND PocketPC version of software. They are both compatible and use the same maps. So you should be able to buy it and use it in both locations with the exact same coverage.

Maybe I'm missing something else in your post, but I think S&T is your answer. You should also look at Mapopolis. The full program is free and you can download maps for your area and test them for 9 days. That should be more than enough to see if you want to buy a full map set for around $35.