View Full Version : An ideal pocket pc - phone.

Kadegboye
01-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Hi there,
Does anybody know whether or not an ideal, in my own judgement, pocket pc-phone is being developed? An ideal pocket pc, in my opinion, will have few important features like:- a large memory probably a hard disk, a very fast processor getting to 750 Mhz or more, a superior voice activated system such that one doesn't need to tap in numbers when driving, triband or quad band phone, a powerful camera (3 or more meg pixel), e-mail protocol such that you can retrieve your e-mail form any ISP and of course a windows media payer of superior quality with excellent music reproduction. Bluetooth will be an addition while wi-fi is ok. I must be in a dream land - Am I not?
Kay.

Kowalski
01-24-2005, 10:52 AM
wake up Kadegboye :D
did you ever think of the size, weight, and the power requirements of the device you mentioned?

surur
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
He should roll his own using a small tabletpc and a 3G/GSM card. He would have his hard drive, a gigahertz processor and the best voice recognition he is willing to pay for. It will only cost him an arm and a leg however. :lol:

Surur

Kadegboye
01-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. It seems you guys are a little pessimistic! Think about the first few pocket pcs manufactured. Most have less than 32 MB of RAM but now we are talking of 128-256MB range. Do you remember the processor of the first Pocket pcs? Now, we have X-Scale processors of 416 MHz and read the proposed XDA IIi with a possibility of a processor 512 MHz. Can you then tell me how far these are from my ideal Pocket PC-Phone? Have a nice day you all.
Kay.

Chris Spera
01-24-2005, 10:01 PM
I've heard rumors about a prototype device that uses a hard drive of sorts. I don't know when it will see the light of day in its current form, or if it ever will. I'd give it a year or two more on that.

WM2003SE, I think, has a memory limit of (and I'm trying to remember...) 512MB...could be more, could be less...; but the point is, that most, if not all PPC's are currently configured with 64MB, while only a few come with 128MB as standard RAM. This will likely increase to 256MB and above this year, I think, but again, we'll have to wait and see.

Processors are running close to where you're wanting. The X50v has one that runs at 624MHz, I think. You may see something that runs as fast as you want in a year or two.

Bottom line, I think we're at least 18-24 months before we see anything close to what you are wanting. If you're sitting on a fence waiting for something to ge released, you're going to be sitting for a long time.

Kadegboye
01-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Dear Chris,
That sounds like the correct write-up. I am at present using my gorgeous XDA II, and I am satisfied with it. I am only thinking of my next ppc-phone probably in a year or two.
Regards
Kay.

Pigpen_the_Nerd
03-22-2005, 08:23 AM
You can't knock the guy for dreamin'....
I tried to use my x50v as a phone, but the lack of speaker phone and the minute to establish a connection to my provider was too much of a hassle...I wish they would come on....
need to see more USB host too, so I can use my jump drive...oh hey, while we're dreaming, let's put a USB 2.0 host adapter on it....that would rock....then I could plug in my pocket sized 40 Gig drive...
VGA, 624 MHz, 'bout a gig of Ram, wifi, BT, GSM, Edge, ok, Camera too, with 30 FPS video at 1024X768. :)
Gimme a holler when they get out...I'll be the one riding the fence with my x50v in one hand and my ppc-4100 in the other... :P