View Full Version : Dial up internet through mobile phone

Wildchild121007
01-23-2005, 06:45 PM
At the moment im getting 3hrs worth of cross network minutes, is it possible to use a dial up number for internet access, as you would connect through bluetooth to your pocket pc, although it would have to be a certain type of number, not 0845 as you would get charged.

Is is possible?

Menneisyys
01-24-2005, 10:04 AM
At the moment im getting 3hrs worth of cross network minutes, is it possible to use a dial up number for internet access, as you would connect through bluetooth to your pocket pc, although it would have to be a certain type of number, not 0845 as you would get charged.

Is is possible?

You mean you want to dial a specific number to pass to the Internet? Yeah, it is possible, if you have a modem at the other end, connecting to an already Internet-enabled desktop. This is how dial-in ISP's work. You only have to find somebody in the given, 'free' number range that has / lets you connect a modem to its line.

Wildchild121007
01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Ok, so is it possible to ring my home number and somehow connect through that.

Menneisyys
01-25-2005, 10:30 AM

Yes, assuming you have an analogue modem at home and your telco doesn't "filter" out fax/data connections over analogue lines.

And, of course, it only works using analogue connections, NOT GSM.

Wildchild121007
01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
If i ring an 0845 number from my mobile and bluetooth it to my ppc, will i get internet?, and if so how fast would it go?

Wildchild121007
01-25-2005, 01:40 PM
WOW it works, using a free isp that you only pay per minute for, no contracts or user name required, im paying 10p min for 9.3k sec.

Is there any faster free isps anybody knows about on diap-up, or is it just because of the speed of the mobile phone provider not letting me go quicker?

Menneisyys
01-25-2005, 01:44 PM
WOW it works, using a free isp that you only pay per minute for, no contracts or user name required, im paying 10p min for 9.3k sec.

Is there any faster free isps anybody knows about on diap-up, or is it just because of the speed of the mobile phone provider not letting me go quicker?

You mean 9600 bps? That's the GSM standard (if you're using GSM). The technical maximum is 14400 bps with GSM modems. (Without HSCSD).

Wildchild121007
01-25-2005, 02:36 PM
So what are my options when it comes down to GSM, what other numbers can i dial to get a faster dwnld?

Menneisyys
01-25-2005, 02:54 PM
So what are my options when it comes down to GSM, what other numbers can i dial to get a faster dwnld?

HSCSD (if your GSM phone supports is at all) and / or GPRS, but then, you won't be able use arbitrary numbers.

Wildchild121007
01-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Its a Motorola V600, with BT Mobile, running on T-Mobile

In the next couple of days , bt are moving over to vodaphone so hopefully ill have a few more options when its comes to GPRS.

phs
02-01-2005, 08:13 AM

Yes, assuming you have an analogue modem at home and your telco doesn't "filter" out fax/data connections over analogue lines.

And, of course, it only works using analogue connections, NOT GSM.

You can use a GSM phone to dial-up an ISP, connect to an analogue modem/desktop, send a fax, etc. Just tell your telco to activate "data services".