View Full Version : iPaq 1945 w/Dell Bluetooth Keyboard - could it work?

mcsouth
01-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Has anyone been successful using an iPaq 1945 with either the Dell or ThinkOutside BT keyboard?

I recently bought a Dell Axim Bluetooth keyboard for my Dell X50v "work" pda. Given that the keyboard is made by Thinkoutside, I wondered if my personal iPaq 1945 would work with it.

I downloaded the latest ThinkOutside drivers, and installed on my iPaq (in main memory, as required), but the driver reports a problem with a missing BT profile. When I searched further, Thinkoutside indicates in their FAQ's that you require Widcomm 1.4.1 v07 Bluetooth stack for their driver. When I check my iPaq 1945 (upgraded to ROM 1.10), it reports the Widcomm stack as 1.4.1 Build 60, and the individual files show a version level of 1.4.1.60. I found a BT update on HP's site that resolves security key issues with cell phones, but it doesn't indicate if it affects the BT stack version. I have emailed ThinkOutside support, but haven't heard anything from them yet.

So....I am uncertain if my problems are related to my iPaq's BT stack, or if this is possibly just a case of the Dell BT keyboard being 'crippled' so that it won't work with other pda's. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Sven Johannsen
01-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I can tell you the Dell keyboard isn't 'crippled'. It works just fine with my 4155 and 3715. In fact, on the 3715 with the BT stereo headphone update, which loads an HID profile, I didn't even have to load the Think Outside driver. I don't get all the fancy Blue Keys for apps, though the numbers work. I had tried the Dell keyboard with the 4155 and TO drivers and it worked as well.

tzirbel
01-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I've been using the keyboard with my 1945 with no problems.

mcsouth
01-23-2005, 12:50 AM
I've been using the keyboard with my 1945 with no problems.

What version of Bluetooth stack do you have in your 1945? If you select Bluetooth settings, and then scroll to the last tab (About), it should show you the version. For that matter, what version of the Thinkoutside driver are you using?

tzirbel
01-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Bluetooth is 1.4.1 v60
and the thinkoutside Driver is 4.1

mcsouth
01-23-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the info! This tells me that there shouldn't be a reason why this won't work - maybe I have a conflict from another app.

Thanks again!!!