View Full Version : mp3 hiss - best player?

jim_millington
01-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I have 3 PDA's all play mp3's with a slight hiss, not like a dedicated mp3 player or cdmp3.

I have tried a couple of different mp3 files - some are better than others. None of them sound as good as on my computer or cd mp3 player.

I was wondering if the problem was the player - i use the betaplayer and windows media player or am i just a sensitive type of guy.

Janak Parekh
01-23-2005, 01:15 AM
You could try a different player software, but I can't imagine that'd be the source.

Which Pocket PCs have you tried? The last one I actively used (pre-iPod) for music was my 3870, and I didn't notice any appreciable hiss. The iPAQs were known for their high-fidelity reproduction (not sure about the current models). The e805 is supposed to be fantastic as well, although I haven't tried it yet on mine (once you have an iPod, it's hard to go back... :P)

In general, though, I'd expect dedicated audio players to be a bit better.

--janak

Darius Wey
01-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Some programs allow for modification of audio settings - e.g. enhanced bass/treble, EQ settings, etc. So ultimately, they can help enhance the output sound. There may even be some basic audio settings in your Settings menu - e.g. iPAQ Audio, or the like.

Usually, those are your only software avenues for having good quality audio playback from your Pocket PC. I know the hiss you're talking about as my h1940 suffers from it. However, most music drowns it out, so I'm quite surprised you can still hear it while your music is playing.

Kowalski
01-23-2005, 10:47 AM
i am using wmp all the time. i tried lots of mp3 players but to me wmp is the best for me.
as darius stated there is a noticable quality difference between 1945 and 2215