View Full Version : Activesync with a "My Pocket PC" website instead of my own desktop PC?

isomaniac
01-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Activesync with a "My Pocket PC" website instead of my own desktop PC?

Since wireless router is so common now, I can't help but wondering it should be many people's request to Activesync our Pocket PC with a webite, instead of with our desktop PC.

The thing is, turn on the desktop PC everytime in order to Activesync the appointments/contacts/tasks is VERY VERY not-smart. Not only that it involves the steps to login Windows, but it also waste the electricity. Also, what if I want to Activesync while I am in a Starbucks with wifi access?

During my PALM times, I can sync my Palm with a Yahoo website which all the appointments/contacts/tasks are sync to the Yahoo website and there was no need to sync the appointments/contacts/tasks with my desktop PC at home anymore. Why can't Pocket PC do that?

An ideal case is, with the help of wireless router, I can turn on my Pocket PC every morning, use the wifi to retrieve newest RSS feeds and Activesync the appointments/contacts/tasks with a WEBSITE. So that I can safely travel with my Pocket PC with all the appointments/contacts/tasks salely backed up in the website. In case anything bad happens to my Pocket PC, I can always use the backup of appointments/contacts/tasks on the website and sync ic back to my Pocket PC.

Any other people share my wish?

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Activesync with a "My Pocket PC" website instead of my own desktop PC?

Since wireless router is so common now, I can't help but wondering it should be many people's request to Activesync our Pocket PC with a webite, instead of with our desktop PC.

The thing is, turn on the desktop PC everytime in order to Activesync the appointments/contacts/tasks is VERY VERY not-smart. Not only that it involves the steps to login Windows, but it also waste the electricity. Also, what if I want to Activesync while I am in a Starbucks with wifi access?

During my PALM times, I can sync my Palm with a Yahoo website which all the appointments/contacts/tasks are sync to the Yahoo website and there was no need to sync the appointments/contacts/tasks with my desktop PC at home anymore. Why can't Pocket PC do that?

An ideal case is, with the help of wireless router, I can turn on my Pocket PC every morning, use the wifi to retrieve newest RSS feeds and Activesync the appointments/contacts/tasks with a WEBSITE. So that I can safely travel with my Pocket PC with all the appointments/contacts/tasks salely backed up in the website. In case anything bad happens to my Pocket PC, I can always use the backup of appointments/contacts/tasks on the website and sync ic back to my Pocket PC.

Any other people share my wish?

Sure, it's not built-in into ActiveSync, but there're a lot of 3rd party solutions for this problem.

First and foremost, check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm . It answers all your questions.

You can also check out http://wibble-wobble.com/wince/contact2yahooconverter/ : Contact 2 Yahoo Converter. It reads the Pocket Contacts and puts all of the contacts in to a Yahoo! csv file for importing into the Yahoo address book. It's not automatic and one-direction only, but free and can be used in some cases.

As for Hotmail & Outlook Express: read http://email.about.com/od/hotmailtips/qt/et072804.htm too.