View Full Version : PDA & Smartphone or Phone Edition.

ricksfiona
01-22-2005, 12:30 AM
There's been this discussion before, but I would like to throw this back out there due to the recent introduction of several devices...

Within the next several months, I need to standardize on the types of equipment my technical employees will be using out in the field. However, I would like feedback as to what makes sense for data and communications needs.

All my field employees will have a Pocket PC. They will use this device to keep track of their time, document client visits, research problems via the web and update my company databases remotely which include time, scheduling and client data in realtime. Here comes the problem: Would it make more sense to use a PDA/bluetooth-phone or go the route of a PDA w/bluetooth, WiFi and voice (like the PDA2k)?

I would like to go with the PDA2k, however if someone doesn't want use a bluetooth headset, and I wouldn't blame them, it's awkward to use a big device like the PDA2k.

There is the new i-mate JAM which is close to perfect, but the screen is pretty small and people with average or below eyesight may not like using it. Especially when entering in text for significant amounts of time.

By getting two devices, the techs would be getting two high-end devices that don't compromise on features. Like a Dell x50V and SMT5600. However they would have to be fairly close to their phone to establish the bluetooth connection AND they would have to carry two devices, possibly 3 including an earpiece. I wouldn't use the Smartphone cause of it's data collection limitations.

Going to and from clients I don't see a real problem. When they hear the phone device going off, they can leave it in their carrying bag and pick up the bluetooth headset. But when onsite and going from location to location, they would have to carry whatever devices with them. They could have up to 3 devices on their belt :? Let us not forget a portable keyboard and mouse too!

Sven Johannsen
01-22-2005, 04:15 AM
But when onsite and going from location to location, they would have to carry whatever devices with them. They could have up to 3 devices on their belt :? Let us not forget a portable keyboard and mouse too!

OK, so Phone, PPC and Scott eVest.

ricksfiona
01-22-2005, 04:32 AM
But when onsite and going from location to location, they would have to carry whatever devices with them. They could have up to 3 devices on their belt :? Let us not forget a portable keyboard and mouse too!

OK, so Phone, PPC and Scott eVest.

That might work if you're wearing a jacket all the time... But most of the time, you're not.

Kowalski
01-22-2005, 11:45 AM
pda2k seems a good solution here, because of its integrated keyboard.
personaly i was pda+phone side of the decission, but after jam, pda2k and asus p505 are introduced, i have changed my mind.

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Definitely the separated (PDA + phone) solution because, then, I can choose the best (VGA) PDA for the PDA part. Until there're VGA PPC PE devices, I don't buy any converged device.

surur
01-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Certainly for work purposes you would want an integrated solution. Your support costs will be less, and your training time will be less, leading to a lower TCO. There is also much less that can go wrong vs a two device solution, which will invariably reduce reliability.The Xda 2 variants are being widely deployed in the UK and Europe by business for example taxi drivers and plumbers, so it appears you can make it relatively bulletproof.

Ive gone from a ppcphone to a two device solution as there was no 3G VGA ppcphone available, and I really miss the smaller total load to carry.

I say you would be going down a safe route with a ppcphone solution.

Surur

Kowalski
01-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Definitely the separated (PDA + phone) solution because, then, I can choose the best (VGA) PDA for the PDA part. Until there're VGA PPC PE devices, I don't buy any converged device.

this is your personal taste and personal idea. but ricksfiona and his employees will use a pda mostly for work. vga isnt a big thing here

shindullin
01-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Seems like the job is pretty data intensive if a smartphone can't hack it. I would go w the 2 devices bc of wear, expandability and upgrading issues. If your business continues to grow, your data management requirments should grow too. You may eventually need the next gen PDA sooner than you realize or the existing pda's may get used so much that you have problems with screen wear, dropped devices etc. It's unlikely you'll need to upgrade the phone features as fast or as often. I would go w.2 gizmos. Your worker's convenience can be compromised in exchange for cheaper upkeep and upgrading over the long term for you.

ricksfiona
01-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Certainly for work purposes you would want an integrated solution. Your support costs will be less, and your training time will be less, leading to a lower TCO. There is also much less that can go wrong vs a two device solution, which will invariably reduce reliability.The Xda 2 variants are being widely deployed in the UK and Europe by business for example taxi drivers and plumbers, so it appears you can make it relatively bulletproof.
Surur

I like the reasoning here... Especially the part about training time, TCO and reliability. True. For the most part, techies are usually more open to using the earpieces when talking for a significant amount of time.

I think the amount of time we could keep the PPC should be a good amount of time. There will be much data entry and data updates, but processing power should be quite minimal.

There CAN be a problem with people damaging the screens, but shields and conscious gentleness can greatly help here. I'm pretty reasonable with handling my iPAQ 5550. I carry it everywhere. I've dropped it once and damaged the record button a bit, but it's still working fine. I've probably had it for about a year.

If Dell would incorporate GPRS/voice into their X50v and had 128MB of RAM, that device would ROCK :jawdrop: It would probably be $$ cheaper than the PDA2k too.