View Full Version : DIAL UP iPAQ with COMACT FAX/FLASH MODEM

winston1425
01-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I own a HP iPAQ 2215 that I purchased only 3 weeks ago. I would like to purchase a Compact Flash/Fax Modem and be connected to the internet. I belong to AT&T, ISP provider for my Desk Tops. I Wonder whether I can install the same program for my PDA also and make a dial up connection to the internet? I would like know all the 9 years if there are other ISP-Programs that need to be used for PDAs. I would greatly appreciate if some can refer me to a source where I can find this information or guide me in getting my iPAQ to achieve this. Tanking you in advance.javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad

Menneisyys
01-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Are you sure you want to stick to a wired solution? Why don't you go for an albeit a bit more expesive, but far more versatile wireless solution - e.g., GPRS?

There're some CF modem/fax cards, some also support PPC's. However, almost all of them consume a LOT of power, so you won't really like them without putting your PDA on a charger.

You can also go for a BT analogue modem so that you won't have battery problems in your PDA. It was introduced here on PPCT some 1.5 years ago. I can't find the link to it right now (typing this from a PDA with pretty bad JS support that doesn't allow for searching inside PPCT). If you need the link, however, let me know and I post it later, from a desktop PC.

You can connect to almost all dial-ups without any external dialer program because all modems and ISP's use exactly the same protocols, and Pocket PC's support them too.

winston1425
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
I have looked into Convergent Technology’s GSM/GPRS card for wireless dial up but it costs an extra $200 for a card plus $30 a month for Internet Service. So I thought I rather would try a dial-up modem for the start with the same service provider I already have. If there is better way, I would appreciate if you can provide me the link and guide me in that direction. Thank you.

Menneisyys
01-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I have looked into Convergent Technology’s GSM/GPRS card for wireless dial up but it costs an extra $200 for a card plus $30 a month for Internet Service. So I thought I rather would try a dial-up modem for the start with the same service provider I already have. If there is better way, I would appreciate if you can provide me the link and guide me in that direction. Thank you.

Well, CF-based GSM/GPRS cards are all pretty lousy - almost useless for talking and, even in data mode, they suck the battery really fast (as analog modem cards, though). A separate GPRS bluetooth phone, on the other hand, is a very good alternative, particularly if you already have one.

Back to the question of traditional modem/fax cards: this is what I recommend: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22504

phs
01-24-2005, 06:38 AM
I also have a bluetooth analogue modem, but I don't carry it around. The modem is small, but I don't really have room for another power adapter to carry around. A CompactFlash modem is easier to carry. To me, power consumption of a CF modem is not an issue, because I use my 2215 for email only (browsing is a pain), and I can remove it immediately after receiving email, work on the reply, and attach it again to send email.

johnnydigit3l
01-27-2005, 08:25 PM
im thinking about putting a toe hitch on my ferrari, and a thrwing away my flatscreen tv for this used b/w tv i found outside my neighbors house: )

yankeejeep
01-27-2005, 09:01 PM
If you want to use your existing ISP (regardless of whether you are going land line or wireless modem), you will not be able to load the dialing software you use on your desktop onto your PPC. You will want to verify that you can dial in and connect without the dialer. Some ISPs (NetZero, for example) integrate the software into the connection process while others (like Earthlink) provide it as a convenience that is not required in order to make a connection. If AT&T allows connection without using the dialer, you will need to go to their online support and get the settings needed to do so (even a document intended for use with a PC will give you the information you need - server addresses, protocols, things like that). You will also need to go to their website to get local access numbers (this is one of the things the dialer program normally handles for you).

When I'm on the road, I periodically still use a CF modem card to make a hard connection through my Earthlink account when I find myself in a poor cellular service area (and, yes, they definitely exist). They also usually happen to be places that aren't rife with wifi hotspots. It works fine, but you need to remember to have local access numbers for where you will be using it.

PDANEWBIE
01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
im thinking about putting a toe hitch on my ferrari, and a thrwing away my flatscreen tv for this used b/w tv i found outside my neighbors house: )

Please tell me when I should be sitting outside your house when your going to throw it away. :)