View Full Version : Help: Can on-screen keyboard be disabled on HP IPAQ 4355?

Spyrogyra1234
01-20-2005, 05:06 AM
I have a HP IPAQ 4355. It has a hardware keyboard attached to it....it's the reason I bought the device. I can't fathom have to peck out text on the on screen keyboard or use the hand writing recognition (I have a Palm III years ago, and hated it).

However, as this device has a real keyboard, I have no need for the Pocket PC 2003 OS to automatically give me the on screen keyboard when an entry box is displayed in an application.

Is there some software or registry hack to disable it automatically popping up? I still need it for the one of two characters that are missing from this "real" keyboard, but I would like to tap the show on screen keyboard button when *I* want to see it.

For that matter, what does one do when connecting a Bluetooth keyboard?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

jimski
01-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Not sure if your 4355 has some other specific setting, but you can download PHM Power Toys. The app (freeware) has something called PHM Ext. Keyboard which basically displays "no keyboard-nothing" when selected.

If you make this your Default Input Method, the PHM Ext. Keyboard will popup but as it's clear, it will not obstruct your view. This keyboard is only one of many different Power Toys/Tools available from this utility.

yankeejeep
01-20-2005, 12:20 PM
ZeNoKeyboard will put an input method on your list that results in nothing being displayed. Very helpful when using an external keyboard that does not make itself the default input method.

Spyrogyra1234
01-20-2005, 05:53 PM
ZeNoKeyboard will put an input method on your list that results in nothing being displayed. Very helpful when using an external keyboard that does not make itself the default input method.

Thanks much! This worked!

Mark