View Full Version : Sharing folders on an SP2 laptop, so I can connect to them through WiFi and map them with Resco?

bjornkeizers
01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Hello all,

This is driving me nuts, so I hope anyone can help me.

I just got an Ipaq rx3715 with WiFi. I heard that I could sorta stream movies through beta player if I shared the folder on my PC and mapped it with resco explorer as a local folder.

For the life of me, I can't figure it out. My laptop has SP2 installed, and it connects to the router through WiFi. This is working correctly.

I also have my Ipaq set up to connect to the same router through WiFi, and this connection is also working correctly.

Now here's where it gets tricky: I can't find my computer on my network *at all*. I'm thinking this is SP2 working its magic. So, I tried sharing my folder, I tried the wizard, but no luck.

Is there a guide for this sort of thing? It's totally driving me crazy.

Menneisyys
01-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Now here's where it gets tricky: I can't find my computer on my network *at all*. I'm thinking this is SP2 working its magic. So, I tried sharing my folder, I tried the wizard, but no luck.

1, tried with firewalls off?

2, tried to directly enter the shared resource name in either BetaPlayer or Pocket Windows MP? \\<machine name>\<share name>

3, did you also try BizzDev's Netuse ?

BTW, I recommend the thread http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15912 : Mark_Venture has written a very helpful intro/ FAQ on this.

bjornkeizers
01-19-2005, 10:00 PM
It's definitely a computer problem.

Yes I tried it with the firewall off. The PPC couldn't see it.

Yes, I tried directly inputting the name, even as an IP address.

I just tried netuse, but all it can find is 'MSHOME', when I tap on it it just searches and nothing happens. The OK button is grayed out.

Now I also tried the reverse thing: finding other PC's from my laptop, but no luck. I can see the other two computers on the PPC just fine, but not my laptop... and my laptop can't find the other two PC's as well.

I tried it with firewalls off and with cable and wireless. No luck. I'm thinking my PC is waaaaay too secure.

PDANEWBIE
01-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Some anti-virus programs have built in firewalls have you disabled anything that could potentially be causing this? What I recommend is go to start-run-msconfg-hit enter-selective startup-remove checkmark on load startup items. reboot your PC try and connect and see if it works if it does then you can go back and play with the startup items in msconfig till you find whats blocking it.

Also check your laptops IP vrs the rest of your network as well check your workgroup name (something as simple as a workgroup mistake will cause all browsing to stop).

bjornkeizers
01-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello,

No, I don't have anything like antivirus software installed, nor anything like Zonealarm or things of that nature. I can't think of anything else that might use connections except Shareaza, but that's off and it works through my SP2 firewall. When I turn the firewall off, I still can't see the laptop. I also turned the firewall off on the router, but still nothing.

I tried selective startup, but that didn't work either.

Also check your laptops IP vrs the rest of your network as well check your workgroup name (something as simple as a workgroup mistake will cause all browsing to stop).

What, exactly do you mean by checking against the rest of the network? My router assigns an IP address to my laptop; currently that is set to 192.168.2.104. Subnetmask is 255.255.255.0 and my gateway is 192.168.2.1

I don't have any problems connecting to the net with the laptop nor the Ipaq. Even Shareaza and things like IRC work just fine.

I also checked my workgroup and it's set to the default MSHOME like the other two PC's. Do I need to / can I change it on my PPC? But that still wouldn't explain why I can see the other two PC's and not mine...

I'm very much tempted to just give up :-(

<EDIT>

Well now this is interesting... I just tried syncing over WiFi, and that works just fine. No problems there either.

Cybrid
01-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Hello,

No, I don't have anything like antivirus software installed, nor anything like Zonealarm or things of that nature. I can't think of anything else that might use connections except Shareaza, but that's off and it works through my SP2 firewall. When I turn the firewall off, I still can't see the laptop. I also turned the firewall off on the router, but still nothing.

I tried selective startup, but that didn't work either.

What, exactly do you mean by checking against the rest of the network? My router assigns an IP address to my laptop; currently that is set to 192.168.2.104. Subnetmask is 255.255.255.0 and my gateway is 192.168.2.1

I don't have any problems connecting to the net with the laptop nor the Ipaq. Even Shareaza and things like IRC work just fine.

I also checked my workgroup and it's set to the default MSHOME like the other two PC's. Do I need to / can I change it on my PPC? But that still wouldn't explain why I can see the other two PC's and not mine...

I'm very much tempted to just give up :-(

<EDIT>

Well now this is interesting... I just tried syncing over WiFi, and that works just fine. No problems there either.Since PPC can see and access? the other two PC's....That part of the network is fine. Leave them alone.

The laptop which cannot see either PPC or the other two PC's is the problem. Concentrate there.

Since everything else on the laptop seems to work it is not a driver/ device error and so don't make any changes there (e.g. re-installing drivers)

The problem is that it has not "joined" the network.....Try and remove all the network related configuration through the wizard. Reboot. Try and get all the network related configuration back in again.

Hope this is a correct helpful assessment.

bjornkeizers
01-21-2005, 12:30 PM
You mean the settings for my wireless network (IP, SSID, etc)? I'll give it a go.

Very strange though. Everything else works, except this.

bjornkeizers
01-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Another update.

I hooked up my old laptop which has the exact same settings, and I could stream just fine. Music, videos, photo's, everything works

It has the same lan, workgroup, etc settings - even the same settings on the FW for IRC etc.

And to complicate matters further, I can even stream music through the WM Encoder on the problem-laptop, and connect to the stream with WMP on the PPC... So something as complicated as streaming does work, but simple file sharing doesn't??

I'm running fast out of ideas. I could try a format but thats rather drastic