View Full Version : Internet via pocket oc on labtop

moh2004
01-16-2005, 09:07 PM
May I connect my pocket pc which has GPRS to my labtop to surf the web on the labtop?

Thanks

Menneisyys
01-16-2005, 09:15 PM
May I connect my pocket pc which has GPRS to my labtop to surf the web on the labtop?

Thanks

Yes, you can - to a certain extent.

The WM operating system doesn't support internet connection sharing so your only hope is running a HTTP proxy server on the PPC that actually has access to the Internet and configure your browser on the notebook to use this proxy to access the web. This means you'll be only able to access web pages and no other TCP/IP services (ftp, smtp, pop3 etc.)

Now, there's only one, very rudimentary (it doesn't even support POST requests, oinly GET's) HTTP proxy server for the Pocket PC. I will copy here its URL tomorrow, if you're still interested (can't do it now because of the very limited scripting capabilities of PIE, which make all searching operations futile.)

moh2004
01-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Yes please, post it

Menneisyys
01-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes please, post it

http://en.pdamobiz.com/en/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74

Cybrid
01-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Thanks You should be able to directly access the GPRS connection by creating a DUN setup on the laptop. Call your service provider and ask about how to use your PPCPE as a modem.

Menneisyys
01-17-2005, 09:19 PM

Thanks

BTW, do you have a PPC PE or a PPC device? "which has GPRS" isn't very informative... PPC PE devices (on the op. system level) have connection sharing capabilities.

Cybrid
01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
BTW, do you have a PPC PE or a PPC device? "which has GPRS" isn't very informative... PPC PE devices (on the op. system level) have connection sharing capabilities. PPC PE or variant is a safe assumption I think since...the only other two ways of GPRS involve aircard's or tethering..
You'd simply move the aircard to an available slot on the laptop or get a new cable/ tether to the phone.

So what's this about PPCPE connection sharing troubles? Does that mean that using a PPC PE as a modem is difficult?

Menneisyys
01-18-2005, 08:25 AM
BTW, do you have a PPC PE or a PPC device? "which has GPRS" isn't very informative... PPC PE devices (on the op. system level) have connection sharing capabilities. PPC PE or variant is a safe assumption I think since...the only other two ways of GPRS involve aircard's or tethering..

Yeah, but anther configuration is possible: a plain PPC (would want to) share(s) its connection. This is also a pretty common case - this is why I've copied here the address of the FAQ that explains just this case.

This is why I wasn't sure what he meant: a PPC that already has some kind of (external) connection or a PPC PE that itself contains a built-in modem.

Cybrid
01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh, I can appreciate wanting to share an internet connection from a PPC, i.e. one with a built in Wifi to supply internet to a laptop, etc.

It's just that there are three known ways to get a GPRS connection

PPC PE
A PCMCIA cellular data card ....Sierra Aircard or Novatel Merlin, etc.
A phone connection either by BT or cable.

Two are just so....illogical to share that way that there remains only PPC PE. Suggesting a proxy server setup is using a cannon to swat a fly. Overly complicated, messy and quite probably beyond the technical skills of most.

stabile
05-20-2005, 05:04 PM
First off, I have successfully used BT between my laptop and PPC (SX66) for activesync. DUN connection has also worked but as we all know, it ties up the PPC preventing it from using the GPRS itself.

I have successfully configured BT PAN and got a connection so that I can ping between the laptop and the PPC without a problem. I have downloaded pocketpcproxy (en.pdamobiz.com) just for HTTP GET testing, though my goal is SSH sharing. I have not been able to get pocketpcproxy to work because of the following reason.

My first issue is maintaining the GPRS connection. I can establish the GPRS (Cingular MediaWorks) connection and then connect the laptop via PAN BT. After the BT connection PIE no longer connects to sites.

Whenever I connect to GPRS (via Wireless Manager) while BT PAN is connected, the PPC 'hourglass' goes for a few seconds and disappears, without connecting.

If I drop the BT PAN connection from the laptop side and retry the GPRS connect, it works fine and PIE can resolve sites.

Any thoughts on sharing the GPRS connection with the laptop, maintaining both GPRS and BT connections at the same time? As mentioned earlier, my ultimate goal of is to use SSH from the laptop over the PPC PE GPRS connection via BT PAN (Enough acronyms there or what?) I am looking at PocketTTY SSH port forwarding as a potential component in this mix.

Thanks,

- Tony

JMckie
05-27-2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks

Yes, you can - to a certain extent.

The WM operating system doesn't support internet connection sharing so your only hope is running a HTTP proxy server on the PPC that actually has access to the Internet and configure your browser on the notebook to use this proxy to access the web. This means you'll be only able to access web pages and no other TCP/IP services (ftp, smtp, pop3 etc.)

Now, there's only one, very rudimentary (it doesn't even support POST requests, oinly GET's) HTTP proxy server for the Pocket PC. I will copy here its URL tomorrow, if you're still interested (can't do it now because of the very limited scripting capabilities of PIE, which make all searching operations futile.)

I plan to try that technique this weekend. I am hoping that the technique extends to a proxy server solution involving two Pocket PCs. I am interested specifically in finding a solution to this specific scenario:

The pieces:
- Two Wifi and BT-enabled Axims
- One BT modem
- One Dial up ISP
- Zero desktops or laptops

One Axim can pair to the BT modem, and establish an internet connection through dial-up to the ISP. So far so good.

The problem: How to get two Axims connected to the Internet. Can ad-hoc networking through wifi help here? Can an internet connection be shared through Wifi?

Menneisyys
06-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Can an internet connection be shared through Wifi?

Unfortunately, not. Pinging each other over an ad-hoc (Wi-Fi) / PAN (BT) connection or even talking to each other (see for example http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=344212 on this) will work because both parties have separate IP addresses. This has, however, nothing to do with Internet connection sharing, which requires quite a bit of operating system-level support. This is entirely missing from the PPC op. system.