View Full Version : HP 6315 - Disabling Phone Dialing?

Ultima
01-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm looking for something rather specific, but it seems nobody wants to really make it.

I have a big beef with the phone buttons/phone function on my iPaq 6315. I use mine more for internet access than anything else. AIM, web browsing, etc... As such, I'm using the $30/month internet plan, where you still can make voice calls, it just costs $0.20/min to do so. My problem is the iPaq likes to sit in my holster, get turned on (I don't know how, the power button is recessed and somewhat stiff), and the phone button will get pressed when it's on and it'll make me make a phone call. This annoys whoever I last called AND costs me money AND makes me look like an idiot, and it's pissing me off.

What I'm looking for is one of two things, or possibly both.

1. A program that will run at startup and continue running in the backgroung (like a Windows XP "service") that will disable or allow me to remap the phone and hangup buttons. I usually answer by tapping 'Answer' on screen anyway, and with a program like this, I could still make calls by going to the address book or choosing the "Phone" program in the start menu.
2. A program where, in the case that a call is attempted, will put up a pin-code confirmation on screen BEFORE the call is actually placed. For example, right now my phone's last called is T-Mobile customer care, #611. If the iPaq turned on, and tried to dial, a pin-code confirmation with a timeout of, oh, 4 or 5 seconds would appear, and if the code wasn't entered correctly (say, if I set it as 1234) or was not entered at all during that time, it would not make the call.

I did a search in the forum for "key lock" and such but the programs I found did a good job of blocking key input while the device was off. The built in software does this, but if it ends up getting turned on, "MortSaver" for one was pretty useless. The big button in the center of the D-Pad dismissed it's dialog, which is far easier to press than the phone button in my case...

I still love this iPaq, doubly so since mswlogo came out with his firmware patch so I can use bluetooth dialup, but this "issue" is costing me around $5/month. That's around $60/year, which is pretty expensive for what I would consider a design problem.

CrashX
01-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I can't make a software recommendation, but I do have a question for you. Which case are you using?

I had similar problems with the stock case that came with the 6315. Then I received a case from Sena Cases (http://www.senacases.com/cart/home.php?cat=299), compliments of PPCT and Sena (Thank you! :D), and I don't think I've made an unintentional phone call since I started using it. The new case, combined with the iPAQ's built-in software to turn off the screen and lock the buttons, has worked perfectly.

Just a thought, but have you considered changing the case that you're using?

Oh, I agree with you completely regarding the updated Bluetooth stack. I found it just over a week ago and a few issues I was having were fixed because of it. :D

deadeye
02-03-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm looking for something rather specific, but it seems nobody wants to really make it.

I have a big beef with the phone buttons/phone function on my iPaq 6315. I use mine more for internet access than anything else. AIM, web browsing, etc... As such, I'm using the $30/month internet plan, where you still can make voice calls, it just costs $0.20/min to do so. My problem is the iPaq likes to sit in my holster, get turned on (I don't know how, the power button is recessed and somewhat stiff), and the phone button will get pressed when it's on and it'll make me make a phone call. This annoys whoever I last called AND costs me money AND makes me look like an idiot, and it's pissing me off.

What I'm looking for is one of two things, or possibly both.

1. A program that will run at startup and continue running in the backgroung (like a Windows XP "service") that will disable or allow me to remap the phone and hangup buttons. I usually answer by tapping 'Answer' on screen anyway, and with a program like this, I could still make calls by going to the address book or choosing the "Phone" program in the start menu.
2. A program where, in the case that a call is attempted, will put up a pin-code confirmation on screen BEFORE the call is actually placed. For example, right now my phone's last called is T-Mobile customer care, #611. If the iPaq turned on, and tried to dial, a pin-code confirmation with a timeout of, oh, 4 or 5 seconds would appear, and if the code wasn't entered correctly (say, if I set it as 1234) or was not entered at all during that time, it would not make the call.

I did a search in the forum for "key lock" and such but the programs I found did a good job of blocking key input while the device was off. The built in software does this, but if it ends up getting turned on, "MortSaver" for one was pretty useless. The big button in the center of the D-Pad dismissed it's dialog, which is far easier to press than the phone button in my case...

I still love this iPaq, doubly so since mswlogo came out with his firmware patch so I can use bluetooth dialup, but this "issue" is costing me around $5/month. That's around $60/year, which is pretty expensive for what I would consider a design problem.

You need to go into your buttons control panel application, select the third tab, and set the 6315 to only power up when the power button is pressed. The default is to power up when ANY button is pressed.

NOTE: If you are using Battery Pack Pro, disable the power button option; it hides this tab for some reason.

Ultima
02-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the tip, deadeye, but I think CrashX nailed it on the head.

I actually DO have that option enabled, it just appears that the PDA turns on for whatever reason. Be it a reminder or whatever, then the buttons do work...

I don't feel like shelling out $45 for a case that uses those damned horrible plastic clips, I hate those. I actually really do like the dase that came with the iPaq, except it's not exactly form-fitting. If they took that Sena case, and stuck one of those nice all-metal non-swivel clips like I have on the original case on the back, and had it fit on the belt sideways like the original, I would probably pick it up in a heartbeat.

I gave T-Mobile a call about some tower downtime, and I figured I'd ask, and the guy on the phone after about 5 minutes of hold time, hit me with the damned simple solution. Set the password to come on after 0 minutes of use after being turned off. Every time the iPaq manages to turn on now, it requires a PIN code to use it...and since the PIN code screen cannot be accidentally bypassed, the phone isn't going to dial by accident. It made me feel ashamed that I didn't realize that solution earlier... it's pretty close to my software choice for #2. :)

Jon Westfall
02-04-2005, 03:00 PM
This issue has plagued me as well, and now I'm using the password on startup to prevent it. Annoying as I have to dial in the password. I wish some developer understood this problem well enough to write something for it.

It also amuses me that non-6315 users always point out the "lock all buttons" option. As true 6315 users know...
1. It is set to On by default on our ipaq
2. It doesn't help anyway, as the device randomly turns itself on fairly often!

Maybe someday someone will hear our pleas (and by that time, I'll have switched to a new PPC...)

fmcpherson
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I think the 6315 powers up every time the GSM radio causes a change, like switching cell towers.

Ultima
02-13-2005, 04:43 AM
As a 6315 owner, I think the 6315 powers up whenever it wants. ;)

For the longest time, I had mine set not to auto-power-off as well. However, I have not once lost my data due to the battery going completely dead. I've gotten tired of the "oh, it must have run out of my battery in my holster" situation, so I turned the auto-power-off on. It's a nice unit, except for this one problem. The other problems I had were fixed by that unofficial bluetooth patch.

Jon Westfall
02-13-2005, 05:51 AM
yea, this still seems to be a problem. Looks like another thing HP could address in (hopefully) future ROM updates...

Matt Kitchen
02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
heh, or just the 6320